Questions About This Cake For All You Cake Artists...

Decorating By DivaWeava Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm by catlharper

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hello All!

I need some of your valued opinions on the following cake:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1372435_f248.jpg

I have been asked to recreate this cake for a wedding that is on the 25th of Sept. (late notice, I know).

They have asked for a square version. To me the cake pictured looks like buttercream, but I would like your opinions. How would you achieve this two tone effect?

Also, the flowers look as though they are made out of gumpaste. Which cutter would you use to recreate these flowers?

Finally, cost...

I know that everyone has their own opinion of cake prices, but in general, what do you think that this cake would cost if:

1. The whole cake was actually edible?

2. The bottom and top tiers were edible, and the middle tiers were cake dummies?

3. Top tier real cake, the rest dummies?

I am having a hard time giving them prices, because they are really unsure of exactly what they want or need. I would really like some opinions on cost and creation.

Thanks everyone! (0:

3 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 4

It looks like buttercream. I would probably cover the whole thing in buttercream then add the chocolate buttercream band.

The flowers look like dogwoods.

Regarding cost, you have to get information from them. How many do they want to feed? I would have to have answers today or I would turn the cake down.

Find out how many servings they want, figure out what needs to be cake and what needs to be styrofoam and go from there. My cost on styrofoam tiers is 75 - 80% of the cost of real cake. I still have the cost of the flowers, the decorations, even the cost of the styrofoam and shipping.

But regardless, I would need answers today in order to get the supplies I needed.

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

It looks like buttercream. I would probably cover the whole thing in buttercream then add the chocolate buttercream band.

The flowers look like dogwoods.

Regarding cost, you have to get information from them. How many do they want to feed? I would have to have answers today or I would turn the cake down.

Find out how many servings they want, figure out what needs to be cake and what needs to be styrofoam and go from there. My cost on styrofoam tiers is 75 - 80% of the cost of real cake. I still have the cost of the flowers, the decorations, even the cost of the styrofoam and shipping.

But regardless, I would need answers today in order to get the supplies I needed.

I completely agree with you. I am talking with the bride today. They have a very small budget for the cake. I want to make it worth my time, but still make a nice cake for them.

Do you mean that you charge 70-80% less than the cost of real cake when you use styrofoam?

I am thinking of suggesting a smaller cake made of all dummies, except the top layer, and then making cupcakes for them to serve their guests.

Apparently, they do not want to serve cake to everyone. They are only planning to serve cake to guests that come late and do not get a choice of the food provided.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with the assessment of what it is...my concern is that they have such a small budget for an elaborate cake. I would charge $4 a serving for this cake and 3.20 per serving for the dummy tiers plus about $7 per flower. That doesn't sound like it's in "small budget" range. And, no, it's not 80% less, it's 80% of the actual cake price.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%