Can I Freeze This Icing Successfully?

Decorating By dianab Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm by tootie0809

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a wedding cake. Typically, I use buttercream to fill and ice the cake. A week prior to the wedding I freeze my non-iced tiers with bc filling between the layers. The day before the wedding I defrost the tiers and ice them and put the cake together.

For this particular wedding, the bride and groom want frosting based on the groom's grandmother's recipe. I successfully made a practice cake(no freezing involved) for them and they loved it.

Now, that that time is drawing near, I am wondering if there are any problems with freezing this type of icing/frosting. The recipe is below:

FROSTING
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla

In medium saucepan, combine flour and milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture is very thick, stirring constantly. Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled. In large bowl, combine sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture by tablespoonfuls, beating at high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla.

Thanks!

2 replies
dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 3

Just for clarification, this icing will be frozen as the filling. I will ice the cake after I thaw it out.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 3

I don't see why not. You can freeze just about anything. Maybe after freezing it, let it thaw in fridge overnight?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%