Help....how Do I Make A Pull Apart Cake??/

Baking By 2txmedics Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm by Kiddiekakes

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have been trying to find a post on this and cant...never have done one, but was asked last night if I can do a pull apart cup cake, CAKE....I mean I know they are cup cakes....do I cut off the tops? how do I ice so they dont move, how do I know what placements I need for a I guess Transfer????

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 7

You don't have to cut the tops off the cupcakes. If your cupcakes dome too much then just use a little less batter in the pan. When putting them on the cake board you want to place them so there is as little space as can be between them. I'll often use a dab of icing on the bottoms to glue them in place. Then you ice over them as you would a cake.

As far as placements it all depends on who you are decorating them. I'll also move them around on the board until I get the look I want before I 'glue' them in place.

2txmedics Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 7

Oh that sounds easy....ok...dont know as of yet what the picture is...but she said a cake for about 16 ppl what would I charge for something like this?....

New one for me...lol THANKS BUNCHES

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 7

Since I use cake mixes I get about 24 cupcakes. I won't do less than that. Plus depending on the shape you may need a few more servings than they ask for to get it to look right.

As far as price you need to take in to consideration how much it costs you to make it, the time and your hourly wage and how much over those you want to make.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 7

Hi 2txMedics....icon_smile.gif

I make a 20,30,40 and 50 piece cupcake cakes...I charge roughly $2.00 per cupcake as I only ice the top and not the middle like a slab cake.It takes me about 1 hour or a bit longer to do a cupcake cake...I charge $40.00 for the 20 piece...$60.00 for the 30 piece and so on...Bake the cupcakes in advance ..flatten with a heavy cutting board when they come out of the oven...I freeze as the are easier to handle.Glue with icing on a cakeboard in staggered position to eliminate huge cracks /holes.Ice the top with wilton icer tip.Smooth with spatula...Now you are ready for your design.Pipe the border and you are done!!

2txmedics Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

Hey my Friend!!!! Thanks so much, I really appreciate the time you took to reply...so question, I take them out of the oven and place something to flatten them immed. out of the oven? or wait a few mins?

Thanks so much, this is my first and nervous. Like always whats new...lol

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

Flatten them as soon as they come out of the oven..I use a heavy cutting board and count to 5 otherwise they stick to the board...If you wait too long before doing it the steam has already released and they won't flatten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%