Covering Fondant Over Angel Food Cake (Less Sugar)

Decorating By AleciaL Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 11:19am by brincess_b

AleciaL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AleciaL Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake order for a lady who wants angel food cake covered with fondant. Has anyone ever done that before? Also if so how did it hold up with the fondant?

The lady who the cake wants a cake with less sugar than normal because she can not have alot of sugar.
Any suggestions on how to use less sugar but still taste good?

8 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

I can't imagine that angel food cake is strong enough to hold fondant without the cake crushing. I've never tried it, but I don't think it would work.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think angel food cake will take the weight of fondant - unless maybe rolled very thin, but then you risk tearing. You may want to experiment with a store bought pre-made cake?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 9

she does know fondant is mainly sugar, right? lol.
id advise her to either have the traditional frostings for angel food, or simply order standard cake and have a smaller slice.
xx

AleciaL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AleciaL Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 9

Yeah, when i told her it is sugar LOL and she was like..is there a way to make it will less sugar?
But she said maybe angel food cake to off set the fondant and buttercream.

Have anyone made a sugar free cake..is there such a think?

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 9

Is she against sugary sweet taste, or just sugar?
If latter one, you can use sugar replacement like Splenda.
I've only did it once, with a muffin recipe, result was pretty good.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 9

One of the best tasting cakes I've ever eaten: make the Betty Crocker angel food cake recipe. (There are 2, so use the recipe that includes powdered sugar and cake flour). After this cake is cooled upside down, remove the pan. Make a batch of whipped cream: use real heavy whipping cream and splenda and good quality vanilla. Frost the cake with this whipped cream. It is simply one of the best things on the planet. You can always add fruit to it if you choose, but it's certainly not necessary.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 9

We eat cakes that are less sweet than in the States in Germany, I just use less sugar in the cake itself (I bake from scratch)and use a very thin layer of frosting underneath the fondant or thinned apricotjam to adhere the fondant

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:19am
post #9 of 9

If her problem is something like diabetes, it's not just sugar that's the worry, it's the carbs as well. That's why medical advice in the uk is not to go for sugar free cake, but to just have a smaller bit of regular cake.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%