Buttercream Icing Melting During Transport!!!!

Baking By derahpehs0acire Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 1:58am by Loucinda

derahpehs0acire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derahpehs0acire Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #1 of 19

I have been using this buttercream icing recipe for a while now, and its held up well so far.So.....im in the car, right. with the air on FULL BLAST and the icing was getting a little droopy. by the time i got the cake from the parking lot on to the table in the resturaunt the wall of icing on the cake was basicly sliding off like fondant!!!. icon_confused.gif. now im new with cake decorating and stuff, but how can buttercream icing melt in a car thats tapedshut.gif near 60 degrees(exagerated maybe 65-72) icon_wink.gif. it was about 83 deg outside but i wasnt outside for longer than 1-2 mins. the cake was my for my grandma so she loved it anyway.(only the decoration on the top was left icon_cry.gif )(more exageration. there was still icing on the sides.srry im very dramatic icon_rolleyes.gif ). someone plz explain why the cake gods shamed me that day lol.

18 replies
kerry126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerry126 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 19

What is your buttercream recipe?

derahpehs0acire Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry126

What is your buttercream recipe?

The recipe:
22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)
2/3 c. Crisco shortening
5-7 tbs heavy cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup

the recipe varies. some times i dont add corn syrup or even 5 tbs of heavy cream. just depends.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 19

Between the butter, cream, and corn syrup, was it a very soft icing? Maybe that was the issue?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 19

doesn't sounds like enough PS to me! i've never put corn syrup in my frosting unless i wanted to thin it out for writing.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 19

I use sugarshack's recipe and it holds in severe heat and humidity, never have had any issues with it ever. You may want to check it out!

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 19

It will also be more stable if you use more shortening, and less butter. I use equal parts butter and shortening. I also don't put in the corn syrup.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 19

Sounds like too much butter and a very soft Icing. Might be tasty but not strong enough for heat.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mangagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mangagirl Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I use sugarshack's recipe and it holds in severe heat and humidity, never have had any issues with it ever. You may want to check it out!

What is sugarshack's buttercream icing recipe? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

teresa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa13 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:55am
post #10 of 19

Could the sun have been shining through your car windows directly onto the cake?? The sun gets very hot shining through glass windows. I had that happen to a birthday cake I made for my dad. The icing slid right off the side of the cake. Now I always make sure that my cakes are well shaded from the sun when I am transporting them.

CakePubGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePubGirl Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:10am
post #11 of 19

no matter what if your cake gets to a certain temp itll melt, the best thing to do is sacrifice the flavor of real butter use a crusting buttercream with just shortening, look for a buttercream that does have transfats, or a high ratio, or as i think i learned from edna-add a touch of milk or cream to add the fat back in. your ratio of sugar and shortenting must always be at least 2 parts of sugar and 1 part shortening. if you look up crusting buttercream or the viva method recipe in the search on here then that has proven to be a sturdy recipe for me, and i live in houston tx where the sun and humitdity literally make the outdoors a suana dripping beads of sweat with in the minute of being outside! :/ i love butter in my buttercream but that is a personal indoor cake only sort of thing now. and i got my first recipe from my culinary book!

derahpehs0acire Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:19am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa13

Could the sun have been shining through your car windows directly onto the cake?? The sun gets very hot shining through glass windows. I had that happen to a birthday cake I made for my dad. The icing slid right off the side of the cake. Now I always make sure that my cakes are well shaded from the sun when I am transporting them.

omg it was sitting in the front seat!!! icon_surprised.gif i feel so stupid. well i guess you live and learn. it was my 2nd time ever transporting a cake. the first time i had my brother hold it in the back seat lol. thank you so much you have been such a help!!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:25am
post #13 of 19

I live in Hot, HUMID, Texas....and I had a problem with this until I started to use INDYS RECIPE...I can do a wedding tier cake and transport it, let it sit in a hot room or even outside for abit...and holds in temp of 98

Its on here on CC

derahpehs0acire Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

I live in Hot, HUMID, Texas....and I had a problem with this until I started to use INDYS RECIPE...I can do a wedding tier cake and transport it, let it sit in a hot room or even outside for abit...and holds in temp of 98

Its on here on CC

hmmm i will check out that recipe. i live in oklahoma and its humid up here too.Thanx icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 19

I'm echoing what others have said. I question the recipe, sounds like a creamy frosting rather than one that stands up to much heat at all. Did your piping look 'crisp' as you were doing it or did it seem to relax a bit?

When I transport, regardless of temp. outside it's in a shady spot in the back. I've got tinted windows and those little shades they have for babies are wonderful as well. If the cake is small enough it's in a covered box shading it more.

So happy it was for your grandma! I'm a pretty new grandma and no matter what my granddaughter did it would be perfect thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 19

Our June averaged about 100 degrees per day and about 95% humidity. I was terrifed of buttercream melting but I have a plan for delivery and delivered over 45 minutes away with no problem.

all of my completed cakes go in a box and I refrigerate overnight, even tiered cakes. I keep the box closed and put it straight from the fridge into a car that has the a/c running full blast and has been for at least 15 minutes to keep the car cool. I have an SUV and it sits in the back and the windows are tinted. It stays in the box unti I get it inside the venue. It goes from the box to the table. Even with our superhot and humid summer, I didn't have any melting. Most of the time, I use Sugarshack's buttercream but this worked even for a vanilla rum buttercream that is all butter. I was afraid that it was going to melt inside the venue because it was so hot in there but the bride said it held up great, no melting.

Loucinda Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #17 of 19

Wi9th Sugarshack's recipe, I never refrigerate a cake. Never. The cake does not have to go through the condensation and temperature changes that way. I have never - not once - had an issue with melting frosting or any of those issues. It holds in 96+ heat with 90+ humidity just fine. I have 6 qt. KA and use sweetex to make it.

2 lb 13 oz. sweetex
1 + 1/4 cups plain liquid creamer
5 Tablespoons flavoring
6 lb. powdered sugar

derahpehs0acire Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Wi9th Sugarshack's recipe, I never refrigerate a cake. Never. The cake does not have to go through the condensation and temperature changes that way. I have never - not once - had an issue with melting frosting or any of those issues. It holds in 96+ heat with 90+ humidity just fine. I have 6 qt. KA and use sweetex to make it.

2 lb 13 oz. sweetex
1 + 1/4 cups plain liquid creamer
5 Tablespoons flavoring
6 lb. powdered sugar

omg, that seems like so much sugar.i have always tried to avoid recipes with large amount of sugar.since im a begginer, my cakes go to family and most of them cant stand icing that is too sweet. so do i really have to sacrifce the taste of my buttercream just so it will stand(or crust) better. icon_sad.gif

Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #19 of 19

That recipe makes 6 qts. of icing. (I think I measured out 18 cups)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%