Conversation Heard At Local Baking Supply Store

Decorating By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 12:38am by afterdinnerthoughts

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #31 of 64

My guess is he heard that cupcake shops are hot right now. He figured he would get in on it. I mean how hard could it be? It is only eggs, flour, sugar. haha
He is in for a rude awakening.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:29pm
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

Oh come on everyone - she'll probalby have her own show on TLC by the end of the year!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

She is at least as good as Sandra Lee and her stuff the cookies into the cake decorating techniques.... lol

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:40pm
post #33 of 64

Maybe he got laid off recently due to widespread downsizing and decided to take his severance pay/IRA and put his job future in his own hands instead of someone else's...he loves sweets...knows what he wants...just doesn't know how to get there. (I'd gladly share my worn out map with him!)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:45pm
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

Umm, you were listening in on my conversation? icon_confused.gif hahaha

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ....I am hoping the guy doesn't come on here and happen upon this thread! But my thought was, surely he isn't a member here or he'd know what buttercream is at the very least! And...if he DOES read this, maybe he'll consider moving his opening date back a little bit.

I hope he does. If anybody needs a reality check it's this guy. I mean I'm all for being self-motivated but you want to open a bakery but don't even know what buttercream is> icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Come on!

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:00pm
post #35 of 64

I'm from the St. Louis area too! I think I'll be checking craig's list for some new equipment in January!!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm
post #36 of 64

This is fricken' hilarious man! I love it.....I laughed out loud!!!! Thanks so much for a good chuckle!

icon_smile.gif

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #37 of 64

That was funny! Thanks for the laugh! The way you wrote it was funny too!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

You know, I think I'll start doing brain surgery in a couple months. Does anybody have a book and some instruments to get me started? And, um, what's a scalpel?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh Luddroth, you just made me laugh out loud in my quiet little office icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif any second now, five people will be upon me to find out what the heck is so funny!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:51pm
post #39 of 64

that is so funny. I can just picture it!!!! icon_eek.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Maybe he got laid off recently due to widespread downsizing and decided to take his severance pay/IRA and put his job future in his own hands instead of someone else's...he loves sweets...knows what he wants...just doesn't know how to get there. (I'd gladly share my worn out map with him!)

Hey...Like I said, I'm all for taking the reins and making your dreams come true. But....I can't imagine this is his dream. He had no recipes, no experience baking, and didn't know what buttercream is! Wouldn't you AT THE VERY LEAST have baked a cake before buying decorating supplies to start a cake decorating business?? I mean, he bought a case of 500 plastic double cupcake containers, cake boxes, tips, bags, and various other supplies....AND HE'S NEVER BAKED A CAKE BEFORE! He doesn't even know if he'll enjoy it...or....heaven forbid, be GOOD at it! I'd be telling a different story if he'd said, "I've baked my whole life and I love it...I want to give this a shot!" That's what I did! But....sorry, this guy doesn't know what he's in for.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #41 of 64

all4cake wrote

Quote:
Quote:

I think any guy who is willing to ask questions regardless of how simple sounding they are, will have the oomph to open and be successful by his goal date. ( so many prefer to drive in circles eternally before asking directions )

this is too funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:05pm
post #42 of 64

Hey, I've decided to become a mechanic. Can anyone tell me how to open the big hingy thing on the front of the car, I think it's called the hood?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:30pm
post #43 of 64

Sorry to all the male bakers here on CC, BUT don't most men think baking is playtime fun? It's NOT work, and it can't possibly be difficult. Bless their simple little minds.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:29am
post #44 of 64

I have a feeling his cakes and cupcakes will end up on Cake Wrecks.com
icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:42am
post #45 of 64

Hysterical! YOu showed MUCH more restraint that I could have! (Yes, I have been known to shout out answers and opinions while in a cake supply shop.)

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:49am
post #46 of 64

He's got 3 good months to bustass and get it done...I'm hoping he makes it.

Another thought...maybe he wanted to go into a field that women flock to and makes everyone smile...

I can't think of 'em right off-hand, but there's several well-known folk (seems like at least one came to CC for help too) that stumbled into a business (at least one was food related...just bought a bakery and dove in...it was something about a deal too good to pass up and it perfect timing for a change...kids hadn't arrived yet, one job ended and the bakery went up for sale...OSLT ) without any prior knowledge.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:53am
post #47 of 64

oh "sweet" mercy.. are you serious this is real? holy cupcake in a basket lol..

thats a good one to put on snopes "don't adjust your settings folks.. this Is a real disaster looming.. you may wish to head for cover.. you know something that goes over your head" lol

sorry had to add a little pun in there reflecting the bemused soon to be shop-owner lol

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #48 of 64

WOW!!!! I loved the play by play on the conversation. princess.gif

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:56am
post #49 of 64

I ain't sayin' I wouldn't have had the same reaction having overheard the conversation as you did...more than likely, I would've. At some point though (I know. You weren't able due to time), I would've been torn between leaving him to his endeavor and leaving him my card...

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

all4cake wrote
Quote:
Quote:

I think any guy who is willing to ask questions regardless of how simple sounding they are, will have the oomph to open and be successful by his goal date. ( so many prefer to drive in circles eternally before asking directions )

this is too funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just meant, anyone (especially a guy...'cause they (not all of 'em) act like they got it all under control and don't need anyone's help) that is willing to admit they need help, or that they are seeking knowledge has the "I'll do whatever it takes to get it done" mentality (oomph) to get it done.

I reckon I'm just a sucker for an underdog. icon_redface.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:22am
post #51 of 64

dammit johnnycakes!! do you know how hard it is to get red kool-aid off of a monitor??? I spit my kool-aid all over my monitor laughing!! It almost came out my nose!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:05pm
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

dammit johnnycakes!! do you know how hard it is to get red kool-aid off of a monitor??? I spit my kool-aid all over my monitor laughing!! It almost came out my nose!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OK now I almost spit my coffee out reading this icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:26pm
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

Oh come on everyone - she'll probalby have her own show on TLC by the end of the year!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Buwahahahahaha! And he will feature a "signature swirl" hee hee

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #54 of 64

I believe he saw that show on TV called the Cupcake girls on WE TV and think if they can do it so can I. Cupcake Girl don't even know how to bake. they didn't know nothing about cupcakes they just know that they wanted to open up a cupcake shop.

http://www.wetv.com/the-cupcake-girls

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #55 of 64

It's funny...and yet...it makes me so mad! Who are these people? What is it, exactly, that they think we do? "How hard can it be the make a flower?" WHAT a jerk! I hope he just gets buried. This is a hard business...one of the hardest I think, because it requires both business sense and artistic talent. People who make a living doing this are some of the most talented and gifted people I know. Doesn't it just make you want to walk up to him and say, "It's more than just flour and sugar , you jerk." AUGH!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #56 of 64

I think it's awesome! If only more people had that kind of drive. You should have given him this website, so we could help him out.

He might find out that it's more difficult than he expected, but that doesn't mean he'll give up. Hopefully he'll succeed! 3 months is more than enough to learn how to bake and frost a cupcake if you put all your time and energy into it. It's not exactly rocket science.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #57 of 64

[quote="JohnnyCakes1966"]
E: Um...Well, this book has recipes for cakes and the different types of buttercream.
C: What's buttercream?

NO FREAKING WAY!!! icon_eek.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Oh, and I'll also be dancing on stage, .... tap I think.... better pick up some shoes for that, too.
Anyone else?

Will that be Capezio or Bloch shoes for you/full sole or split sole/black or tan or BW oxford/lace ups or slip on/with jingle taps or regular taps? icon_lol.gif

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #59 of 64

THIS IS TOO FUNNY. I WOULD HAVE STAYED TO FIND OUT WHERE HER SHOP WAS GOING TO BE!!!!!!

SaraVaughn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraVaughn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #60 of 64

Haven't you guys seen the show "Cupcake Girls" on I beleive it's WE. They knew nothing about cupcakes and still say they don't know how to bake and they have a widely successful business in Canada. It can happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%