Conversation Heard At Local Baking Supply Store

Decorating By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 12:38am by afterdinnerthoughts

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 64

I was at my local baking supply store and overheard the following conversation between a customer and an employee:

C: I'm going to open a cake and cupcake shop and need some supplies.
ME: (Moves in closer to hear the details.)
E: Great! When do you plan to open?
C: By January 1st.
E: So...What can I help you with?
C: Well, I need everything necessary to bake and decorate.
E: You don't have any supplies at all?
C: No. I don't really even know what I need.
ME: icon_surprised.gif
E: icon_confused.gif Have you ever worked in a bakery?
C: No. I've done food service, but have no experience with pastries or baking at all.
E: icon_confused.gif And you're opening when? (My thought exactly!)
C: By January 1st.
E: OK...Well....Let's start with tips and piping bags.
C: What are tips?
ME: icon_eek.gif
E: (Explains what tips are)
C: OHHHH.... So THAT'S how they get the frosting to look like that! Well, how hard is it to make a flower?
ME: icon_cry.gif
E: You know, you might want to start by taking the Wilton decorating classes.
C: I'll think about it, but I can probably just do it on my own. Do you have any books with instructions?
E: (Hands customer a book)
C: (Thumbs through book.) Oh good, it has recipes, too. I'll need those.
E: You don't have any recipes?
C: No.
ME: tapedshut.gif
E: Um...Well, this book has recipes for cakes and the different types of buttercream.
C: What's buttercream?
ME: icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

I had to make my purchase and leave at that point, as I was having a nervous breakdown. My prediction is, that customer will be having one too, come January 1st!

63 replies
Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 64

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif
I needed that! Thanks for the laugh!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 64

Wow.....

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 64

I agree Mayo.....WOW!

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 64

How could you just leave and not hear the end of the conversation?? How could you not eavesdrop for the rest of us and leave us in suspense!!!!!! How could you not run up and strangle this woman while laughing demonically?? How could you not get the address of the proposed bakery so we could alll show up on Jan 2 and taste the cuppies???? wheeww-- okay I'm better now.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

E: Um...Well, this book has recipes for cakes and the different types of buttercream.
C: What's buttercream?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I think I just wet my pants!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 64

Oh my! She probably has been watching too many cake shows, man, is she in for a surprise!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 64

Too funny!!!! Love the way you wrote it too! Some people....

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

Oh my! She probably has been watching too many cake shows, man, is she in for a surprise!

well come on now... on cupcake wars they can bake 1000 in like 90 minutes (or is it longer than that... i don't remember) so it must not be that hard.

Thank you for the laugh.... I did love the buttercream part.

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 64

Umm, you were listening in on my conversation? icon_confused.gif hahaha

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 64

I was in shock! And I could tell the employee was, too.....like....Do I slap some sense into this person (it was a guy) or make a big sale?? And I SO wanted to step in and say something, but.....I also didn't want to jeopardize the sale. Just didn't feel like it was my place to do that.

Nana - I wanted to stay to hear how it ended, but didn't have time. But I did hear where the shop is supposed to open: a town about 25 minutes south of St. Louis. Wanna plan a field trip for January 2? icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness, I wish him well. But.......he doesn't know how to bake, doesn't even have recipes, and doesn't know how to decorate....and he's gonna learn it all, PLUS go through the process of becoming a licensed business, finding a storefront, etc...in just over 3 months. Yeah....I really should have said something. icon_sad.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 64

the incident and your writing, both are funny....

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

Umm, you were listening in on my conversation? icon_confused.gif hahaha

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ....I am hoping the guy doesn't come on here and happen upon this thread! But my thought was, surely he isn't a member here or he'd know what buttercream is at the very least! And...if he DOES read this, maybe he'll consider moving his opening date back a little bit.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 64

You know, I think I'll start doing brain surgery in a couple months. Does anybody have a book and some instruments to get me started? And, um, what's a scalpel?

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 64

ROFL -- I needed the laugh also! Thanks for sharing!

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #16 of 64

Well, ya know...all it is, is some flour and sugar really...

icon_wink.gif

O
M
Geeee!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #17 of 64

by golly!!!, well you know the next place they'll come is here to get all their questions answered. Unfortunately i have alot of wilton students that think exactly the same thing on the first night of Decorating Basics. They're out there in la la land.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 64

OMGoodness that made my day!!! What a hoot!!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:34pm
post #19 of 64

LOL! This thread just made my day! I needed a good laugh. I wonder what IndyDebi would have to say about this one? icon_eek.gif

cupcakeqt72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeqt72 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:37pm
post #20 of 64

I am in Fenton, Mo. Will have to be on the lookout for a new bakery in a few months!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #21 of 64

Seriously????? icon_surprised.gif You can't make this stuff up......... icon_eek.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:46pm
post #22 of 64

Oh come on everyone - she'll probalby have her own show on TLC by the end of the year!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #23 of 64

That is SO hilarious!!! How hard can it be, right??!!! HA, HA, HA!! I LOVED your faces, totally made the whole post!! My jaw hit the keyboard while reading that.......wouldn't you just love to crawl in her head and find out what is really in there....what is she thinking???!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #24 of 64

icon_eek.gif is right! but what if this is really how life works and the rest of us have it all wrong??? Hmmm, I will be running my first marathon on Jan. 1st, of course I haven't actually trained, don't have good shoes, and should work on eating healthier, but hey, I've seen other people run... how hard can it be?
Oh, and I'll also be dancing on stage, .... tap I think.... better pick up some shoes for that, too.
Anyone else?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

I will be running my first marathon on Jan. 1st, of course I haven't actually trained, don't have good shoes, and should work on eating healthier, but hey, I've seen other people run... how hard can it be?

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ---just get some good running shoes and you're good to go...some people are naturals thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm
post #26 of 64

Glad this has given a few laughs....I thought it might. thumbs_up.gif Some people really are just clueless.

I'm all for jumping in with both feet, but dang! Bake a cake or 2 and give decorating a try before deciding you're going to make a career of it! I seriously don't expect to see this shop open in 3 months, but I DO expect to pick up a few barely used decorating supplies on Ebay around that time! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

You know, I think I'll start doing brain surgery in a couple months. Does anybody have a book and some instruments to get me started? And, um, what's a scalpel?

Okay, now THAT'S funny!!!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm
post #28 of 64

Wow! Just Wow!!

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #29 of 64

Oh wow! She didn't even know what buttercream was.. most people know that just from purchasing cakes..

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #30 of 64

I think any guy who is willing to ask questions regardless of how simple sounding they are, will have the oomph to open and be successful by his goal date.thumbs_up.gif ( so many prefer to drive in circles eternally before asking directions icon_cool.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%