I Cant Be The Only One Who Wants To Do This...

Decorating By MommaBay Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm by MommaBay

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 20

I have a cake due in 2 weeks for twin boys. They'll be 2. I was thinking of doing a 2-tiered cake but cut it in half and cover it all separately but push them together to decorate so that the cakes appear to be as 1 cake but pull apart so each kid has their own.

I cant find that idea anywhere on the web or here in CC. I must be looking it up wrong.I cant be the only one who thought of doing that. Or is that just a disaster waiting to happen?

Any other ideas? It's a cake for 30 people. The these is Dora/Diego. She gave me figurines of Dora, Diego and Boots she definitely wants included. Again, it's for twin boys. She wants it fun and colorful. I am oddly, at a loss.

19 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 20

The way you describe it is just how I'd approach it. Treat each side as a seperate cake and be sure to support, etc as you would normally do for a tiered cake. I think it will be a great look - I may have to "borrow" your idea for my nieces next month icon_biggrin.gif

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 20

I've not seen it mentioned but it's a great idea!

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 20

They had that on one of the Food network challenges awhile ago. It was a birthday for 16 year old triplets and Jason (sorry can't remember last name) split the cake in 3, covered with fondant, decorated each third and put it back together.

You should try food network challenges web page to see if you can find it

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 20

HOLD TIGHT as I search through my favorites....I want to think that I hav seen this on here once or twice. Be right back icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 20

I had to divide a tier for a wedding one time, she wanted to present each inlaw with a half a tier, and then it was to look "joined" together in the cake to signify two families becoming one.

The cake is a white celtic one with Gerbera daisies in my photos.

What I did was ice the cake....then I split the cake....but then covered it as ONE cake and scored the middle so it looked like a split but was not completely split. All the had to do was gently go over the score with a knife and the two halves were divided.

Not sure if you could do that?

Suzisweet Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 20

OK, here it is!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.phpname=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1598889

It is awesome...no where does she say it is two cakes but it has a board through the middle...to me it is clearly two cakes. If you would need to pull it apart though, cut your cake drum ahead of time (decorate with ribbon if wanted) and simply push it back together. Make each cake have its own board if needed so when you pull it apart it still looks complete or have one board and remove it completely when ready to pull apart.

HTH!
Suzi

Suzisweet Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 20

Lets try this again by tricking the site as it won't allow you to follow the link.......

copy and paste what is below into search bar

cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1598889

Suzi

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 20

that cake that you found and posted is SPECTACULAR! What a fab idea!

SomewhatSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomewhatSweet Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 20

sounds pretty cool to me

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:45am
post #11 of 20

WOW that cake is amazing. And thank you so much for putting this fantastic idea in my head! I have twin boy cousins whose birthday cakes I always do, and I think I will be doing this next April. icon_biggrin.gif

MommaBay Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 20

the cake link posted is indeed awesome. Not sure if it's 2 cakes but it's awesome!

I want to pull the cake apart for singing happy birthday but have it displayed as one whole cake.

I guess part of my issue is it's size. It needs to only feed 30 people so my layers weren't going to be that huge. I am scared it won't come out right and I wanted to see it successfully done to prove it can be done.

Man, I am not sure if I should attempt this or not.

AH!

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 20

Go for it. It's a fantastic idea - you can set the precedent, if nothing else. Remember - at one time, everything hadn't been done before.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks for the great idea! I have twin boys and my daughter's birthday is 2 days after my boys'. I always make 3 elaborate cakes.....NO MORE!!! Love the idea. Consider it stolen! icon_biggrin.gif

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 20

Just wanted to share this one I found and thought it was absolutely beautiful. But thinking about it I really don't think it's two seperate cakes.

Copy and paste to your browser:

http://melcakewalk.blogspot.com/2010/02/fairytale-cake-decorating-competition.html

Ok so here's my stupid advice,

Because you would need to have them joined, the heavier side of the two cakes would have to be right up to the straight edge of the boards which can cause them to topple over, but if you do it like the one in Suzisweet's link with a seperator board in the middle you can cut two identical seperator boards and attach it to each semicircle board in a 90 degree angle (just make sure the two seperator boards match up before you secure it. for odd shapes they should be mirrored). That along with your usual supports it should be very secure.

As for sizes check the serving charts i've seen plenty around here! Good luck I love these kind of challenges, if it were me I would have done it just to show who's boss!!! LOL

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 20

Great idea! I have twin girls and they never want the same theme.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #18 of 20

lol. kaykaymay, I followed that blog for a little while because I found it a little bit funny that the woman was getting her PHD in biomedics, that her research was on obesity, and that she found such a passion in making cakes that I think now she works at a bakery with two older ladies!

nekotish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nekotish Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #19 of 20

I made this for my twin daughters' birthday. It didn't come apart, but each half was a different kind of cake. Just thought it may be a simpler option for you. It was a 9" and a 6".
[url]http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1178528

MommaBay Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm
post #20 of 20

Yeah they have the same theme so it'd be hard to separate the cake by dividing it in half them-wise.

OK... I am scared by might do the half/half cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%