Cake Layer Slid And Squished

Baking By beccal Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 5:30pm by beccal

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 5

I made a babyshower cake this weekend, 2 layer, 10" round, choc cake with raspberry filling. I made the cake Sat nite and refridgerated it due to the filling. Took it out of the fridge Sun morning to finish the decoration, boxed it, and delivered it to the location. I was also delv another cake, and then came back to attend the shower (friend of a friend deal) and was HORRIFIED to see the icing had squished out from between the layers and was buckled in the middle between the layers and looked horrible. icon_redface.gif The top layer was also sliding over to 1 side. I was a few minutes early, so I took the cake aside and smooshed it back up, and it was ok, we put it back in the fridge (when I dropped it off originally, I put it in the fridge) to help the icing set a bit more so it wouldn't slide again or squish out the filling/icing. I guess my question to more experienced cakesters would be, what do you think the problem might have been? As to avoid it in the future. Maybe too much filling? Or maybe the buttercream was too soft? I obviously was HORRIFIED, told the lady who ordered it that I was terribly embarassed and that the cake was free (ACK) and apologized many times for the problems. Now I think I've lost this customer, which stinks, because I've made serveral cakes for her before, but also she had another cake order for this weekend and she cancelled! (She said it was due to not having the party for her daughter anymore, but I'm not really buying it, after what happened.) Can someone help??? Thanks!

4 replies
beccal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 5

I guess no one can help me, as more than 20 have looked at my post and no replies. icon_surprised.gif(

Sorry, I am just racking my brain, trying to figure out the problem. I hate this! It is driving me nuts, makes me sick to my stomach to think I ruined someone's shower because of my poorly made cake. Just upset, excuse my snippy-ness icon_cry.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 5

Did you use a thick buttercream dam to hold in your filling? If so, maybe it wasn't thick or high enough? And/Or you had too much filling? Don't fill to the height of your dam - that is too much filling.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 5

Sounds like too much filling and no dam

beccal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

I had a dam, I did put a nice layer of the filling in, too, maybe that was it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%