Freezing A Cake Change Quality Of Cake?

Decorating By AngelinaMomof3 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 2:23pm by AngelinaMomof3

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am making my first carved car cake.. It's a dirt racing car and the top is not like a nascar car that can be filled with cake.. I plan on making the top out of hardened fondant so that it's see thru. My question is, does freezing a cake change the taste, texture, or it's structural integrity? Since it's my first I want to bake it and carve it now so that I can get it just right. Also if I bomb at it I have time to make another. I also need to have the dimensions of the top right so that I can have the 'roof' dried before I put the cake together. I really can't do this unless I have the bottom part to work with. I want to bake the cakes today and start carving tomorrow and then freeze it so that next Tuesday I can decorate it.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hopefully the image attached. This is the car I am making.

[/img]

5 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

I have recently started freezing my cakes, they seem to be just fine, even more moist than before you freeze them.
Im not sure about carving from frozen/ after its been froze. But I have one in the freezer right now that I have to do a simple carve on, on Thursday, I'll let you know how well it did.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 6

I plan on carving it after it's frozen because everyone says it's much easier. I just didn't want the cake to not taste fresh or end up tasting like a freezer.. I have freezer wrap and aluminum foil to wrap it in but wanted opinions on how other peoples cakes have turned out!

Thank you!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

Honestly, I believe it changes the quality of the cake...makes it moister!

I get rave compliments and have noticed it myself when I freeze first. Ironically, I only don't freeze if I don't have enough time. I try to bake ahead on purpose so I can freeze.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 6

I always freeze, wrapped well, and the cake benefits from it. Good luck on your car, can't wait to see the pictures!

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all!! My daughters kindergarten teacher wants it for her husband. It's going to be modeled after his actual race car. They want strawberry and chocolate.. You guys made my decision easy! I'm baking today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%