I Need To Know What Professionals Use For A Support System

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm by tracycakes

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 11

I need to know from other professional cake decorators what you all use for a support system for stacked cakes. I have tried cutting the Wilton plastic dowels, cutting the Wilton (& other brands) wooden dowels, using bubble tea straws...and for under the cakes, I've tried using regular cake boards and I've tried cutting foam core boards covered with plain contact paper.

What is the simplest & most effective way to successfully stack a tiered, stacked cake?

I find using a regular cake circle isn't quite sturdy enough to hold the weight of the cake, and so if covered in buttercream, the buttercream will crack if the entire thing is picked up unevenly.

The foam core board works....but it is SO time consuming & such a pain!!!

I can't wait to hear what most of you guys use...

10 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:10am
post #2 of 11

SPS! Single Plate Separators

There is a "sticky" in the cake decorating forum by Leah_S with all the details. You can get the components at Global Sugar Art. Not expensive, very sturdy, simple to use.

HTH
Kristy

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:35am
post #3 of 11

SPS all the way (although I'm not a professional). I had one slide before switching to SPS and not a single issue since I've made the change.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:41am
post #4 of 11

SPS

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 11

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 11

SPS of course! And I do a LOT of cakes. Easy. Sturdy. Cheap.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone!

A problem that I have is that my cakes are never the same height when I bake. Some recipes don't reach the top of my 2" tall pans. Would that be a problem with either support system? When I'm using Cake Jacks, I can never use the 4" tall ones, because my cakes are always just under 4".

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Thanks everyone!

A problem that I have is that my cakes are never the same height when I bake. Some recipes don't reach the top of my 2" tall pans. Would that be a problem with either support system? When I'm using Cake Jacks, I can never use the 4" tall ones, because my cakes are always just under 4".

not sure about SPS because I never used it but with the cakestacker you can simply adjust the height of the plates by screwing them up or down. The center post kit will adjust from 3 inches up to 6 inches to match the exact height of your cake tier.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 11

I build my cakes carefully to make sure they're the correct height. In the event I don't get them correct we just trim the legs down on my husbands band saw. I think I saw on Oasis Supply (where I buy SPS) that they sell a little bitty hack saw for adjusting leg height. It's a whole lot easier to just build the cake the correct height to begin with though.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 11

stress free supports

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 11

SPS all the way. I even mentioned them to another local cake shop after she had a wedding cake collapse on the way to a wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%