"home Made" Dusts

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm by KATHIESKREATIONS

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:04am
post #1 of 8

Hi all!
I read a post the other day about home made dusts-petal dusts using ground up sprinkles, chalk, and kool aid. I thought-what a great idea! I normally have to order online or drive far so I thought I'd spend the weekend seeing if this would work icon_smile.gif So far I've ground wiltons sprinkles (a variety). I found that these did not work very well-they never ground to the complete dust I was seeking and the colors were weak. So I went to Michaels and bought the pastel chalk that some one else had mentioned and so far I've ground them and getting ready to apply fondant to the cake and test it out. I already love the colors and consistency of the pastel chalk so I'm thinking it's going to be really awesome icon_smile.gif I'll let you guys know how it turns out in case anyone wants another guinea pig. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:23am
post #2 of 8

I recently used the pastel green non-toxic chalk for dusting some gumpaste roses. Couldn't find the exact color in petal dust, and this worked out great! Can't wait to see how your project turns out.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 8

I had heard this worked really well from one of the new shows on TV, so I will be watching to see what you think! Good Luck

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 8

Make sure you buy chalk pastels or soft pastels. Regular chalk does not work as well.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 8

Are you talking regular sidewalk chalk or blackboard chalk? This is safe to eat? Learn something everyday! Love this site! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 8

I only use chalk on things that will not be eaten, like gumpaste flowers. To me, once something has a wire in it, it's not edible anymore, and I can use chalk or crayola markers on it.

I saw a Wilton project recently where they were using it on the cake, and I wasn't wild about the idea. Non-toxic and edible are not always the same thing.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:47am
post #7 of 8

Hey all!
KathiesKreations-it's not side walk chalk-it's the chalk thats sold for artists. I bought the brand prismacolor. Their products are pricey, but the chalk I got was the small 12 pack and it was 50 percent off (yay!) at Micheals icon_smile.gif I really really really like the color and the dusting quality of it. I'm just going to have to get used to thinking of my flowers as inedible, but as another poster said-once its on a wire I shouldn't consider it edible anyways hehe They are called chalk pastels-the colors are REALLY vibrant and I'm happy with using them as an alternative-about 50-70 % cheaper than the dusts I would normally buy.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you, adventuregal, so much for that information. I was in Michael's last night...of course BEFORE reading your post. I will be sure to pick some up right away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%