Can I Add Booze To Wasc?

Decorating By cakeythings1961 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 12:11am by cutthecake

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 6

I have a recipe for a mojito cake that starts with a white cake mix, but it results in such a soft cake that I hesitate to stack or transport it. Soooooo, can I add 1/2 cup rum to the WASC recipe? The mojito cake also has grated lime zest, finely chopped fresh mint, and is iced in a key lime BC.

Alternatively, is there a way to firm up a doctored cake mix?

This is for a groom's cake for my future son-in-law, and my DD asked me to make this for him.
TIA

5 replies
erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 6

Sure, you can add rum to the WASC. 1/2 cup seems like a lot to me, though...but I haven't tried straight rum so I can't say for sure. Depends on how strong you want the taste I guess. That sounds good!

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:03am
post #3 of 6

I've added rum to a WASC, but I didn't use nearly that much. I actually used a rum extract I had on hand in place of the Almond extract and then added just a few Tbsp of Bacardi. I could definitely taste the rum.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the responses! The recipe said 1/2 c. rum, so I gave it a try this morning. I used the WASC recipe, substituting 1/2 c. rum for 12 c. of the water. I added the mint & lime zest and iced it with key lime cream cheese icing. Let's just say DH had 2 pcs. with his lunch! This is going to be a perfect groom's cake. icon_biggrin.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 6

Sounds good!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 6

You can add booze to everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%