Sooooooo Heated

Lounge By TheBlonde Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm by Shelle_75

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #31 of 57

Oh I am mad for you!! There is no excuse for that kind of behavior from anyone!! I have 5 nieces, and three great nieces and nephews. The youngest 2. And let me tell you, at our last family function my niece hands me her two year old and says to him...lets see you try that terrible two stage with aunite T. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

It just takes one look. (years to perfect) but nieces all called it the OH CRAP, we are so going to get it look. It can stop children and adults in their tracks.

Yah, I have used it on other peoples kids all the time in stores, weddings, functions... It is kind of funny how the kid stops in their track, runs to momma and wraps their arms around their waste or leg, or starts sniffling while offering me the walmart fruit that they are testing.. although, mothers love it, especially when their kids are screaming, throwing tantrums, I walk by, look at the kid and BAM..instant silence. icon_lol.gif

and if it is a teenager...I start getting the feet shuffle and muttered...sorry mam.. icon_biggrin.gif Adults ususually just get this embarrased look and walk away. (heard one woman say, I havent got that look since my mother passed)

One niece calls it the "your a squashed bug on the windshield look. You look totally disguested with our behavior. And make us so ashamed of ourselves."

ANother one said,"you look like you are so heartbroken and disappointed in me. It makes me want to cry."

Practice the look!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:36pm
post #32 of 57

tesso, I have a feeling you could make a fortune in seminars teaching that look!! icon_lol.gif

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:41pm
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Oh I am mad for you!! There is no excuse for that kind of behavior from anyone!! I have 5 nieces, and three great nieces and nephews. The youngest 2. And let me tell you, at our last family function my niece hands me her two year old and says to him...lets see you try that terrible two stage with aunite T. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

It just takes one look. (years to perfect) but nieces all called it the OH CRAP, we are so going to get it look. It can stop children and adults in their tracks.

Yah, I have used it on other peoples kids all the time in stores, weddings, functions... It is kind of funny how the kid stops in their track, runs to momma and wraps their arms around their waste or leg, or starts sniffling while offering me the walmart fruit that they are testing.. although, mothers love it, especially when their kids are screaming, throwing tantrums, I walk by, look at the kid and BAM..instant silence. icon_lol.gif

and if it is a teenager...I start getting the feet shuffle and muttered...sorry mam.. icon_biggrin.gif Adults ususually just get this embarrased look and walk away. (heard one woman say, I havent got that look since my mother passed)

One niece calls it the "your a squashed bug on the windshield look. You look totally disguested with our behavior. And make us so ashamed of ourselves."

ANother one said,"you look like you are so heartbroken and disappointed in me. It makes me want to cry."

Practice the look!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh, I have perfected that look as well. I made one of the kids cry yesterday with just the look. LOL The other ones started pointed figers at each other saying they didn't do it. HAHAHA One look from me and they all start running...LOVE IT!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:44pm
post #34 of 57

Not cake related, but at our studio we have a gum machine that is a fundraiser for our scholarship students. A relatively new student who is 9 started going up to all the parents in the studio asking them for money! I was appauled! This same child is forever dropped off 30 minutes prior to her class and the parent never seems to pick her up until an hour or more after her class is over, then the woman doesn't even park she just drives up in the parking lot an honks for her kid to come out. We have a very strict policy in our studio that all children are to be brought in and leave with a parent. Last thing I want is a child getting hit in the parking lot because a parent didn't bother to bring them in or walk them out.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:05pm
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeypoo

NO KIDDING YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did a wedding this past July. Was asked to stay b/c the 'caterers' didn't know how to cut a wedding cake (Elks Lodge) At least ten people had never seen a fondant covered cake before, so........they licked their fingers and rubbed it all over the cake and flowers. One of the guilty was THE GROOMS MOTHER! I ended up stripping all the fondant from the cake and serving it 'semi-naked' with only the buttercream that I could get to stay on the actual cake. The brides aunt (who paid for it) came to me for an explanation and was totally mortified when I apologized for the appearance of the servings but explained that I could not in good conscience serve it knowing how many people 'licked' it first. The aunt later called me and thanked me. Apparently the 'slobber prints' turned out in some of the photos....YUCK!

"Ewww! Like total gross out!"

As for the whole kid thing: My theory is this: If your parents are such dip $h*ts, and I see you do something that is not right then it's up to me to love you enough to teach you right from wrong. (I work with kids all day long! If I see you do it, I'm gonna make you own it!)

I'm also a firm believer that some people should require a license to pro-create!

bakercks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakercks Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #36 of 57

I was raised "old school" I new not to do something wrong because of my parents(my mother mostly). We have this in society today because some of the "experts" putting their two cents in saying about abuse and also lack of responsibility of parents.If I did what the kids did I would have had not a look, but a touch and not a gentle one. Sorry about the rambling. icon_redface.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #37 of 57

To the OP, so sorry that happened to you.
It is sad when there are older kids who never had parents that helped them know better.
Even if non cake people don't understand all the time of work involved in "just a cake," it is still about respect and what others have mentioned just plain gross to stick fingers in (or even just touch) food that is there to be eaten.
At a party for my son (a year ago), I left the cake to go and get the camera to take a picture. When I'm back my DH tells me that a girl poked a hole in the cake. The girl was little (I think only 2) so it was fine. But the mother never even thought this was wrong. Never tried to stop her daughter and never apologized.
We also had made a fruit bouquet that was next to a chocolate fountain. This same mother would sit on her chair and never get up when her 2 year old took fruits from the bouquet (which was fine), ate it and then RAN AROUND with the skewer in her mouth!!!
I took them away from her but I had other things to do at the party than to watch this 2-year-old. The mother was fine with her daughter running with a sharp skewer in her mouth. She figured she needs to learn on her own. icon_eek.gif
Raising kids is hard enough as it is. Don't have time to watch other people's kids or other parents. thumbsdown.gif

Adevag Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I'm also a firm believer that some people should require a license to pro-create!

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Adevag Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:33pm
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakercks

I was raised "old school" I new not to do something wrong because of my parents(my mother mostly). We have this in society today because some of the "experts" putting their two cents in saying about abuse and also lack of responsibility of parents.If I did what the kids did I would have had not a look, but a touch and not a gentle one. Sorry about the rambling. icon_redface.gif

Well, there are lots of reasons from "experts" (who usually have years of study in their field) of why spanking (which I think you are referring to) is not a healthy way for children to learn right from wrong.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #40 of 57

OK, even at the risk of being tared and feather - even if it is JUST A CAKE, kids need to know hands off! The hours spent working on a cake don't make the cake any more untouchable than the cake mixed in the pan, popped in the oven frosted with can frosting in under an hour. It is a good reason to be peeved, but kids should know better. The way we are all getting sick by food born contamination is growing. Can you imagine if one of the guests got ill? Would they stop and think about the little snotty fingers in the cake or just blame the cake baker for serving contaminted food? Home bakers will never have a chance to become legal if Auntie's cake always make us sick. Parents will blame the auntie and not their "little contaminaters". icon_mad.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:58pm
post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

OK, even at the risk of being tared and feather - even if it is JUST A CAKE, kids need to know hands off! The hours spent working on a cake don't make the cake any more untouchable than the cake mixed in the pan, popped in the oven frosted with can frosting in under an hour. It is a good reason to be peeved, but kids should know better. The way we are all getting sick by food born contamination is growing. Can you imagine if one of the guests got ill? Would they stop and think about the little snotty fingers in the cake or just blame the cake baker for serving contaminted food? Home bakers will never have a chance to become legal if Auntie's cake always make us sick. Parents will blame the auntie and not their "little contaminaters". icon_mad.gif

You mentioned snotty fingers. I was thinking of boogers this whole time! Not to mention the fact that none of these sweet youngon's wash their paws after using the restroom!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:22pm
post #42 of 57

yeppers, just a snotty bacteria infested finger going in the cake. You know if parents don't teach good manners, good hygiene is not a common conversation either.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:43pm
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

During the party, I glance over at the cake and my cousin (oh, probably 4 at the time) had her face in the cake and was eating it...I could NOT believe it!!

Who's the genius who decided it was a good idea to provide "smash cakes" for the birthday child? Kids start thinking all cakes are theirs for the taking.

TheBlonde Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:28am
post #44 of 57

Got another story!! Yesterday just wasn't enough for me I guess. The worst part is this one is my own mother!!! She comes in and asks if I have any green olives. I told her yes I have a huge jar in the fridge. As she walks into the kitchen I yell "You better go grab a spoon. I DO NOT want your fingers in the jar". What does she do? Sticks her fingers in the jar!!! I'm so pissed. She has a cold!!! That's was a $7 bottle of olives that I needed for a pasta salad tomorrow and I just had to toss the entire jar!!!

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:42am
post #45 of 57

I am sorry, but I have got to get this off my chest also. Welli know of a lot of kids don't have the manner's like we grew up with but I know there are quite a few older people with no manner's at all. Do you ever open a door for someone and they never say Thank You. Well my husband had enough, and one day he opened the door for someone, and he waited until they got a little farther down, and he yelled, Hey you forgot something, and they ran back and asked him what they forgot and my husband said ( well you forgot to say Thank you ) . They were mad but I hope they remember to say it next time. Where in the world, has manners gone to ??? Thanks for my rant!!

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #46 of 57

I wonder how people who touch cakes or let their kids do that would feel if after they had a piece on their plate someone came over to poke it and steal things off of it. I have a feeling they would have a much different outlook on the whole thing.

I made a cake for my best friend's daughter. It was a tinkerbell doll cake in a field of cupcakes covered in flowers and meringue mushrooms. I had taken the extra mushrooms I had leftover as well because not all the cupcakes had a mushroom. One of the kids there, who was 8 years old, asked twice for an extra mushroom after already eating two cupcakes. The first time i gave her one, the second time I told her that she would have to wait until the other kids had all had one. While the presents were being opened, I turned around to find her stealing the mushrooms off the cupcakes that were not eaten yet. I gave her the look so she backed off but her mom was completely oblivious.

As far as manners go, I work in the bakery at a Walmart. WE hand out free cookies to kids. I get so tired of handing them out to kids with no manners. One kid, who is a regular, stands at the end of my counter screaming 'cookies, cookies, cookies' while his mom stands right there. I wish I was allowed to say no.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineJ

I am sorry, but I have got to get this off my chest also. Welli know of a lot of kids don't have the manner's like we grew up with but I know there are quite a few older people with no manner's at all. Do you ever open a door for someone and they never say Thank You. Well my husband had enough, and one day he opened the door for someone, and he waited until they got a little farther down, and he yelled, Hey you forgot something, and they ran back and asked him what they forgot and my husband said ( well you forgot to say Thank you ) . They were mad but I hope they remember to say it next time. Where in the world, has manners gone to ??? Thanks for my rant!!

I don't remember if it was Conan or Leno, but one of them told a joke about holding the door for rude people who never say thank you. They said they just wanted to grab them by the neck and drag them back through the door. I feel that same way many times.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:53pm
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

As far as manners go, I work in the bakery at a Walmart. WE hand out free cookies to kids. I get so tired of handing them out to kids with no manners. One kid, who is a regular, stands at the end of my counter screaming 'cookies, cookies, cookies' while his mom stands right there. I wish I was allowed to say no.

You just reminded me of something that happened to me at work many years ago. I used to play cocktail piano in a restaurant. One evening, a man took his three-year-old son to watch me play. I asked the little boy if he'd like me to play a song for him. He said he wanted "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." I said he needed to say the magic word or the piano wouldn't be able to play his song. Then I asked him if he knew what that magic word was.

"NOWWWWWWW!!!!!"

I burst out laughing, as did his dad. I can't remember which of us corrected him, but we certainly did! And he got his song once he did say please.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #49 of 57

[quote="hvanaalst"]I wonder how people who touch cakes or let their kids do that would feel if after they had a piece on their plate someone came over to poke it and steal things off of it. I have a feeling they would have a much different outlook on the whole thing.[/quote]

LOL! I just had this vision of walking up to the mother of the brat and sticking my finger in her cake. love it.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineJ

Whenever this happens to me I just sweetly say "Your quite welcome" as they pass through. Usually that prompts a Thank you but sometimes just a dirty look. I can't fathom the dirty look.

I also excuse people who bump into me or push from behind. Why are these two sets of words so difficult for people?

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:34pm
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

I wouldn't be able to help myself. The cookie would be held hostage until they answered the simple question: What do you say? (And the answer is not NOW).

Edit: icon_lol.gif I hadn't read PianoDiva's post until after - sad how common that incorrect reply must be.

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #52 of 57

Not cake related either but... a few years ago my then 5 yr old neice was visiting with her family. She came to show me an 'art' project she had just completed. She glued LIVE toads (about dime size) to a piece of paper. icon_eek.gif Before I could stop myself I yelled at her. My 4 yr old was behind her saying, "I told her not to do it! She wouldn't listen!" As I went to wash off the toads I hear my SIL telling her it was okay and to not cry! Never told her it was wrong to glue living things on to paper!

TheBlonde Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMoonRanch

Not cake related either but... a few years ago my then 5 yr old neice was visiting with her family. She came to show me an 'art' project she had just completed. She glued LIVE toads (about dime size) to a piece of paper. icon_eek.gif Before I could stop myself I yelled at her. My 4 yr old was behind her saying, "I told her not to do it! She wouldn't listen!" As I went to wash off the toads I hear my SIL telling her it was okay and to not cry! Never told her it was wrong to glue living things on to paper!

OMG that is horrible!!!! Poor little toads...did they survive?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #54 of 57

icon_eek.gif Seriously - What is wrong with people!!! icon_surprised.gif

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #55 of 57

I think they did survive. The glue was still wet. I love my neice but everytime she visits she does something. Her last visit (she's 9 now) she told my 2nd daughter who was 4 that there is no Santa! icon_evil.gif Fortunately they live about 900 miles away so they don't visit too often!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMoonRanch

I love my neice but everytime she visits she does something.

I'd keep both eyes on that child at all times.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

During the party, I glance over at the cake and my cousin (oh, probably 4 at the time) had her face in the cake and was eating it...I could NOT believe it!!

Who's the genius who decided it was a good idea to provide "smash cakes" for the birthday child? Kids start thinking all cakes are theirs for the taking.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this whole thread. On their very first birthday, they are given their own cake and encouraged to go to town smashing it up for the benefit of having their cute little frosting-faced pictures in the baby book, and then we expect them to never touch a cake again!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%