Wedding Cupcakes?

Baking By cakin-mommy_2 Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm by cakin-mommy_2

cakin-mommy_2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakin-mommy_2 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 10

I have a customer who wants a cupcake tower and small cutting cake for her wedding. She sent me a picture of something she might like. Each cupcake has a fondant disc with either their initials or their wedding date on top. The writing on top looks very fancy and neat. It looks like edible ink. Is there any simple way to achieve this look without buying a ton of expensive equipment?

9 replies
MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

Edible ink markers are nice and not too expensive. You could also use royal icing to either pipe directly on the fondant discs or make royal icing letters on wax paper and attach them to the discs. I tend to do my letters on the wax paper with a sheet of paper under it with the letters printed on it. It makes a nice template, and my letters turn out better that way.
Good luck!

Maria

cakin-mommy_2 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks. I thought about the markers, but I still don't know if I can get the letters as nice as they look in the picture she sent me. I tried to attach the pic but it didn't work. It looks like it was done on a machine. Thanks for the royal icing tip...I'll probably use that technique for some cookie favors I'm doing.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 10

print it off on a peice of paper at home then take it to a store to have them scan it and print an edible image (usually a 7x10 paper is less than $10) then cut put the edible image on the fondant and cut out the pieces that you need for the toppers.

cakin-mommy_2 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry I am showing my ignorance...what kind of store does this? Thanks!!

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 10

I have done the edible image thing at our local grocery store it is hard to get the image to 'blend' into the fondant as it would a cake. Maybe try using a letter impression set and either leave it embossed or go over it with royal icing. I attached a link to the set I have I like it I think the script is pretty and it embosses then you go over it with icing or leave as is.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D8A1-475A-BAC0-5461563D81E0C0CF&killnav=1

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 10

I have seen some very nice letter impressions... they come in many fonts!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:53am
post #8 of 10

cakin_mommy_2, could it be this?

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=26248&name=Gem%20Stone%20Alphabet%20by%20Inkadinkado

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=26254&name=Months%20&%20Days%20by%20Inkadinkado

I haven't seen the photo you have been shown, but maybe the initials were stamped, even if later on you color them with something, or pipe on top of them?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #9 of 10

If you have an airbrush you could also use a stencil and then airbrush the letters on the fondant.

cakin-mommy_2 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 10

I was looking at airbrush kits on Amazon. I don't have one and have never used one. But I think that might be the best way to get the look she wants. Her wedding's not until next year... She is ahead of the game I guess. Anyway, I wondering if anyone has advice about the best place to economically buy an airbrush kit and any tips about getting started using one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%