9.10.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 11:56am by SugarKissesCakery

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:32am
post #1 of 42

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

And there looks like a lot of emergency threads on here tonight. What's happenin?'

41 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:38am
post #2 of 42

No emergency for me. Been working on a demo cake all day. I have six to get done before January and with my calendar I'm still not too sure how I'm going to get them all done. SIGH. BUT I'm very happy with the way this one is turning out so far. I'm down to final touches in the morning and then photographing it. It's a 3 tier square with detailed trim and lettering. Needless to say my hands hurt tonight so I'll adhere the lettering tomorrow! LOL!

Real cakes coming up over the next 3 months with a weekend here or there to work on the demo cakes. I just took another wedding cake on one of the free weekends so there went that. Squeeze it in somewhere else! LOL! This is what I get for trying to run a full time cakery while holding down a job and having a family! LOL!

What'cha working on?

Cat

paoli96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paoli96 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:49am
post #3 of 42

I am on my 3rd night of baking a 1 tier cake - UGH!! I think I was too tired that past couple nights and the cakes flopped. Good thing the cake isn't due until Sunday!

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by paoli96

I am on my 3rd night of baking a 1 tier cake - UGH!! I think I was too tired that past couple nights and the cakes flopped. Good thing the cake isn't due until Sunday!

what's goin on with it?

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #5 of 42

No cakes this weekend. Just some planning and prepping for my first wedding cake next weekend. I'll be doing a stack of books as the wedding cake as the wedding has a literary/book theme and the bridal couple wanted something non-traditional for their cake. The groom is my cousin and he and his fiancee have put the cake design/decisions completely in my hands as they didn't have any thoughts or ideas, other than cake flavor. So this has been an fun and interesting experience. I've had many folks tell me to just do what I want, as it always comes out more original and personal when I have creative license. So we'll see what happens in the next 8 days!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 42

Already finished 2 for this weekend, now I just have to finish a 4 poster bed cake...headboard and footboard are done and drying, just have to do the posts now...have been procrastinating all evening... 'spose I should just get them done, then have to work on the decorative pillows for the bed cake. I do have to admit, I'm really glad this customer decided to go with a bed... His original idea was an upright vacuum...for 100 people!!!! icon_eek.gif

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #7 of 42

Didn't have a wedding cake this week, but picked up a nice three tier birthday cake at the last minute. Prep tonight, decorate tomorrow, pickup Sunday morning.

Next weekend, four weddings. Back in the groove.

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:54am
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Didn't have a wedding cake this week, but picked up a nice three tier birthday cake at the last minute. Prep tonight, decorate tomorrow, pickup Sunday morning.

Next weekend, four weddings. Back in the groove.

FOUR weddings next week! Wow! Someday I'll be full time enough to be able to do that. Right now any more than one wedding and one party cake sends me into a panic!LOL!

Cat

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:08am
post #9 of 42

What's with all the lurkers? I can see youuuuuu.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 42

All finished. Two pickups tomorrow morning and its done. Delivered a cupcake tier this evening. Wasn't really pleased with that one...a customer-design.

The other two cakes I was pretty happy with how they came out and I think the customers will be pleased. One gave me full reign on design...the other gave me fairly specific instructions but gave me enough leeway on the color scheme to blend things in.

I love when cakes are picked up Saturday so I can relax on Saturday!!!!

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:10am
post #11 of 42

evening!
working a wedding cake for tomorrow. 12" and 6/9 dummies with 2 6" dummy satellites. it's all double fondant b/c it's two colors. so in essence I'm covering 10 cakes! I'm exhausted. all have the first layer. ther 12" has it's second...i think i'm going to take it off and redo b/c i'm not completely happy with it. but there's blue underneath! i'll be happy when it's 4:30 tomorrow and this thing is delivered and I'm home having a margarita!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

What's with all the lurkers? I can see youuuuuu.

Busted!! icon_lol.gif This is the first time I've participated so if I do this wrong, have mercy on me! icon_lol.gif I just finished my first topsy turvy (one tier) cake yesterday and the client was thrilled with it. I liked it and had a lot of fun doing it but I definitely need more work, so I hired a competition coach and she's whipping me into shape! icon_lol.gif I just found out I have a cake for Sunday so tomorrow I'll be doing a quick purse cake for the gal. Looking forward to that too! Thanks for letting me share! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:14am
post #13 of 42

my cake is already gone for the day icon_lol.gif was a cute stacked animal print cake that i'm about to post in my photos icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:14am
post #14 of 42

Welcome bob! You did it perfectly!! Don't be a stranger.

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #15 of 42

I can't even imagine doing more than one wedding cake a weekend. I just spent three entire days (from morning until night) baking, icing, and decorating a wedding cake. It is only the second wedding cake I've ever done. It is a 15", 12", 9" and 6" round. I went to move it and my hand slipped and plowed right into the FRONT of my cake . . . ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! This is only my second wedding cake and I was stressed before this happened. I said the f-word a lot (shame on me) and did my best to repair it. Of course it was the tier that was quilted with pearls. It isn't perfect but it looks a lot better than my giant hand print. Can I have a drink NOW?????

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #16 of 42

Also guilty .... as I slowly raise my hand and hang my head... lol I've got it easy tonite, working on resupply of flowers... oh joy! naw, I like makin flowers.

Sandy

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #17 of 42

I've been having a lot of difficulty posting pix lately so I'll post my pix at some point so y'all can see them. This is fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarKissesCakery

I can't even imagine doing more than one wedding cake a weekend. I just spent three entire days (from morning until night) baking, icing, and decorating a wedding cake. It is only the second wedding cake I've ever done. It is a 15", 12", 9" and 6" round. I went to move it and my hand slipped and plowed right into the FRONT of my cake . . . ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! This is only my second wedding cake and I was stressed before this happened. I said the f-word a lot (shame on me) and did my best to repair it. Of course it was the tier that was quilted with pearls. It isn't perfect but it looks a lot better than my giant hand print. Can I have a drink NOW?????

this sounds like my first wedding cake...(((HUGS)))...yes, have the drink now, make it a double!

Cat

step0nmi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #19 of 42

my picture is not posting...will try again in a few :p

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #20 of 42

When I've got a full schedule (like four wedding cakes) I first make a master baking list. I list all the sizes I need to bake by flavor and start baking. Cakes are all in the freezer at least a couple of days in advance. Then when I start to assemble, I start pulling layers from the freezer. They each get torted and leveled before going into the freezer.

step0nmi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #21 of 42

if you guys want to see http://tinypic.com/r/2qup6bp/7

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:22am
post #22 of 42

Drink? Did someone say Drink? I'm thirsty down here in So Fla.

I was wondering how to do 4 wedding cakes in one w/e. How big are they?

Sandy

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #23 of 42

oh my dear SugarKisses, so sorry that happened.

I made a celebration cake for a retiring bridge club manager (my other pass time). It was 11X15 double layer. White cake w/princess emulsion, Lady Baltimore like filling and bc with fondant card symbols.

Will do a Birthday cake for next Wednesday for a retired Dr. that is such a joy to the club. He is in late stage of bone cancer. Still working on what flavors and decorating.

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:28am
post #24 of 42

[quote="gscout73"]Drink? Did someone say Drink? I'm thirsty down here in So Fla.

I was wondering how to do 4 wedding cakes in one w/e. How big are they?

Sandy[/quote]

Haven't looked since I made my master baking list last week, but by the volume, I'd say 3 four tiers and 1 three tier.

SugarKissesCakery Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:33am
post #25 of 42

Leah, you are amazing. That is a lot of cake. There are not enough hours in the entire week for me to get that many done if I worked non-stop. It takes me almost an hour per tier just to ice and smooth. I am in awe.

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:34am
post #26 of 42

With practice you also get speed.

Non-crusting bc, crock pot full of boiling water, bench scraper. icon_smile.gif

SugarKissesCakery Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #27 of 42

Here is the cake I've been working on (if the darn picture loads.) It is all buttercream with fondant accents. It is only my second wedding cake.

JoneaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoneaG Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #28 of 42

Not really an emergency but complaining a little. So I made chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream filling for cupcakes and them frosted them with regular buttercream and they just seemed so over powerfully sweet. Any idea as to what to put on top of the cupcake so you don't get a mouthful of frosting. Thanks!

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:44am
post #29 of 42

Hello everyone,

I am going to give this a try now. icon_redface.gif

I am making a 3 tier baby shower cake and 75 cupcakes for my friends daughter. I hope it all works out well. thumbs_up.gif Finishing now. It's for tomorrow evening. icon_smile.gif

SugarKissesCakery Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #30 of 42

OK, let's try this again.

http://tinypic.com/r/lec0o/7

Here is the crappy cell phone pic of my cake, BEFORE I shoved my fist through the bottom tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%