How Long Do You Let Your Cake Sit?

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 1:20am by catlharper

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 6

how long after baking do you let your cakes sit before filling ,damming, dirty icing etc.
I have been leaving them overnight, to let it settle is this a common amount of time?

5 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 6

I let mine sit over-nite some people make theirs days in advance then freeze the I have no luck in doing that mine seem to just fall a part icon_cry.gif

Molly icon_smile.gif

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

Depending on time, I just let sit till cool, then fill, crumcoat, refridgerate a few min and then shape if need be and frost. I have had no luck freezing either and I think they taste better fresh.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:30am
post #4 of 6

I use the WASC recipe and I bake, let cool, wrap then freeze the layers about two days before I need them. Then I thaw (in the plastic wrap), then fill, stack and dirty ice. I let that rest for four to six hours then cover with fondant and decorate. I started doing it that way after getting some advice from CCers and I really like the results.

I was told that freezing the layers first will give a better texture and taste to the cake and I really believe that it does.

But hey, I'm not a professional by any stretch of the word. But I do like the results much better than just baking and decorating like I have done before.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 6

You should let your cakes settle at least 4 hours after you fill and crumb coat them. That way if they are going to bulge they should do it by then. HTH

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

I freeze all my cakes for moistness so I bake, cool, level, torte then wrap each layer and freeze. The next day I take them out, unwrap, fill, crumbcoat then let them settle for at least 3 hours to allow them to come to room temp and the cake to settle. Then I cover with the final coating of BC or fondant.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%