Cupcake Tops Get Sticky After Freezing..

Decorating By Amy061810 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 8:00pm by leily

Amy061810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy061810 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 5

Im not sure why this is happening, but after I freeze and thaw my cupcakes, the top is really tacky/sticky. They are not frosted when I freeze them. I am using the WASC recipe and was wondering if this has happened to any of you ladies?

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 5

how are you freezing them? How are you thawing them?

If they don't have air to circulate around them while thawing i've found that I get sticky tops. I have stackable cooling racks and i usually put them on the bottom rack, put another rack over top and drape a flour sack towel over top.

Amy061810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy061810 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 5

I am thawing them in a plastic bag. I have heard that they will dry out if you just take them out and dry them with nothing covering them.. is this true?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 5

Are you individually wrapping them? If not, try this and when you defrost them leave the wrapping on them until they are defrosted.

However, I don't really see a problem with sticky tops.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy061810

I am thawing them in a plastic bag. I have heard that they will dry out if you just take them out and dry them with nothing covering them.. is this true?

If I thaw in a plastic bag then I make sure to open it so that the air can circulate. If you don't have anything covering them, yes they can dry out. That is why I put a second rack over top mine with a flour sack towel over it, this way the air can get in and around the cupcakes, the moisture stays under the towel, but it doesn't necessarily build up on the cupcakes giving you a sticky top.

But like aswartzw said, i don't have any issues if i do end up with sticky tops. I cover it with buttercream and no one knows any different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%