Doctored Mix Recipe Help...please

Baking By CaseyNic Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm by All4Show

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 6

I've posted previously about my marble cake coming out really dry even though the individual recipes never have that problem. I thought at the time that maybe I had goofed one recipe or the other and that was the problem. So this time I made sure to pay really close attention and get both recipes exactly right... and I still got a crazy dry cake. Here are the two recipe's I am marbling (both are Cake Mix Dr recipes):

Chocolate
1 box Devil's food cake mix
1 C. Sour Cream
1/2 C. Water
1/2 C. Oil
4 eggs

Butter
1 box white cake mix
1 stick butter
1 C. milk
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this combo to be so dry?? Or suggest what I might do to moisten it up?? More oil? More sour cream? Less something?? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

5 replies
luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 6

A box of pudding might help - I never make cake anymore without it (unless it's for someone with a milk product allergyicon_smile.gif)

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

Try making the fudge marble from your favorite yellow or butter cake that has the moisture you like. Separate 30% to 40% of the batter and add powdered cocoa to taste. Then marble. It will turn out perfect.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 6

Don't put more oil in! What temp are you baking at and how long are you baking? What brand cake mix... store brand by chance?

I've never used the recipes you're using, but I see no reason they shouldn't work.

I always bake at 325º

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

Try the cake dr. chocolate "better than sex" cake. She does add instant pudding mix in additon to what you have in your ingredient list.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

Only a 1/4 cup water too. Sorry I just realized that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%