Are Red Velvet Cakes Dense Enough For 3D Cakes?

Baking By karukaru Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm by Kellbella

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone!'
I am making a cake for my friend's little boy and Its supposed to be a 3D elmo cake (using the 3D stand up cuddly bear Wilton pan) on top of a round base cake). I usually do a WASC cake (and almost always the legs of the bears break so I have to secured them with toothpicks). I am making the cake tomorrow and my friend just asked me if the Elmo cake (which is basically the 3D bear cake) could be red velvet. I have never made red velvet before (only once when I made a red velvet cheesecake like the one from the cheesecake factory) so I don't know what the texture is like or what they are supposed to taste like (I have only tried supermarket versions and they don't have a particular taste and they seem to be kind of dry). Do you know if its dense enough so the Elmo won't collapse? If so, can you share a good Red velvet recipe with me? Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 8

It should be dense enough for carving. The only RV recipe I have used is Martha Stewarts. Her cream cheese icing is the bomb!!!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 8

When I made an Elmo cake (Elmo sitting on top of a cake) I made Elmo out of RKT. I made the body, head and arms separately and put them together with toothpicks and royal icing. Mine didn't have legs, but I'm sure they would have worked the same way. I used a wooden dowel through Elmo's body and all the way through a two tier cake to the cake board. They drove 30 miles with the cake and it made the trip just fine. In fact they had some trouble getting Elmo off the cake... LOL

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 8

I used red velvet to make a bubblegum machine machine, no carving but stacking - it held up well. I used the sarahs red velvet cake (tweaked) from the cc recipes and it is very nice. Being Australian I had never had red velvet cake before so I don't really know how this one compares to others. It is now my sons favourite cake!
I have seen Duff and Cake Boss carve using red velvet.
Good luck with it.

karukaru Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

Thanks! I won't be doing any carving (except to cut off the bear ears and mouth to create elmo). The cake already comes 3D because i am going to use the 3D bear pan (look at the link below). I am correct to assume that if its good enough for carving it should be good enough to stand as a 3D cake?

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-603

I am basically doing a cake like this one

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1550645

I am going to check out the Martha Stewart recipe. Is there any other good recipe? I don't know how they are supposed to taste so I need to rely on cc cakers! hehehe Thanks!

DMJ69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMJ69 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:12am
post #6 of 8

To answer your question about the taste. It taste like a very mild chocolate cake, not over-powering.

This is my recipe that I have tweaked over the years. I always get rave reviews.

Red Velvet Cake

1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1½ Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp. Cocoa, heaping
1 Tbsp. Red Food Coloring
1 Tsp. Salt
2½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1¼ Cup Buttermilk
1 Tbsp. White Vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare 2 8 cake pans with baking spray, or grease and flour pans. **Line bottom of pans with wax paper.**

In a stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
In the meantime in a small bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
Add in vanilla, red food coloring and eggs. Beat until fluffy.
Now alternately add flour and buttermilk to butter mixture. Once all incorporated beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Remove from mixer and add the white vinegar, stir well with a spoon. Evenly divide batter between the 2 pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. (Do not overbake) Let cool in pans for 15 minutes, while still warm wrap in plastic wrap and let cakes cool completely. (cooling in plastic wrap will keep the cake moist)

karukaru Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJ69

To answer your question about the taste. It taste like a very mild chocolate cake, not over-powering.

This is my recipe that I have tweaked over the years. I always get rave reviews.

Red Velvet Cake

1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1½ Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp. Cocoa, heaping
1 Tbsp. Red Food Coloring
1 Tsp. Salt
2½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1¼ Cup Buttermilk
1 Tbsp. White Vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare 2 8 cake pans with baking spray, or grease and flour pans. **Line bottom of pans with wax paper.**

In a stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
In the meantime in a small bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
Add in vanilla, red food coloring and eggs. Beat until fluffy.
Now alternately add flour and buttermilk to butter mixture. Once all incorporated beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Remove from mixer and add the white vinegar, stir well with a spoon. Evenly divide batter between the 2 pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. (Do not overbake) Let cool in pans for 15 minutes, while still warm wrap in plastic wrap and let cakes cool completely. (cooling in plastic wrap will keep the cake moist)

Thank you so much!
By the way, what does heaping mean? (I am not an English native speaker, hehehe) I tried looking up online but it only says its a measure of bulk commodities which are not liquid. Thanks so much!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 8

Heaping just means scooping out what you need and not leveling off...os you have a "pile" of cocoa powder on the spoon...just scoop and go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%