Pokemon Cake

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm by imagenthatnj

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 11

How can I make a simple but nice Pokemon cake...the little yellow cartoon?...in 3d, can I make it using the bear pan?....I saw what little pictures were on here...

I would be making it out of BC ...any ideas would be helpful, due in 2wks.

10 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 11
2txmedics Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 11

Its not that I didnt care for them, I work in BC only and Ive never done a 3D, Im a newbie you can tell by looking at my pictures...so this will be a new cake...for a party of 40ppl.

I just wanted to know if it could be done out of the Bear pan, and if so, how do I make the tail, ears, hands....RI???

Im lost and wanted input...thanks!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 11

I can picture Pikachu from the bear pan. You'll probably have to use chocolate to make his tail, though. Perhaps chocolate would work for the ears, too.

I have no idea about the arms and hands. Mine always stink on the bear pan and I never remember how to do until a few days after the cake is done.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 11

Not many people attempt this, but some pointers that I've read on the internet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewelldressedcake/4435169915/

Lots of support, so that your cake doesn't collapse.

Smoothing your buttercream on a curvy Pikachu could be hard. You need lost of patience.

For the tail you might have to use gumpaste since anything else would probably break.

The only thing harder than gumpaste I think it's pastillage. It dries really hard.

Arms and hands could go in fondant (rounded) but you might have to put them really close to the body, and they could get heavy.

2txmedics Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 11

Ok, thanks ....Im so scared to attempt this, Ive never done anything like this and I dont want to commit and not have it turn out...

I thought ok, bear pan, I even thought wonder if I could carve it?...Im not too sure on that either...then I thought I had seen a cake on her of an owl and thought maybe I should research that and go from there....

how about ears, tail out of RI???

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 11

There's some sort of instructions here. I am not sure about the bear pan. I know people use it for all kinds of animals.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-pikachu-birthday-cake-23.html

I think the ears and tail have to be strong (they're standing up) so you might have to use gumpaste, or pastillage. But this person used cardboard, which you could cover in fondant too. As long as the body is cake, I think you can have the ears and tail made out of anything.

The arms, you're better off not making them as separate pieces but stuck to the body.

2txmedics Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 11

thnaks so much, Im so scared to tell her yes and then not be able to do it....lol...my luck head rolll off, arm break...lol

I work ONLY IN BC....

2txmedics Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:15am
post #10 of 11

Ok, First before I forget.... icon_redface.gif Thank you all so much for answering...and I went ahead and told the women yes I would do the cake. Now she did say, if I could not do a 3d to not worry as along as it was picachu design.

Now her saying that I just said ok, great I'll get back to you on cake day. and thought...ok, now that Ive done research, and I know it can be done with a bear pan...Im going to attempt to do the mini bear pan for the design.

I just need to figure out how to do the EARS~~~??? Wondering if I can do the tail out of RI or even a thin cookie cut to shape??? and feet...does he need feet?, what if he is sitting? lol...Im going nuts now!

But since its a mini bear pan Im using I still need a cake to stand him by...so Im making another cake on the side...in the theme. This way if my picachu doesnt turn out...Ive got cake on stand by for the party. Besides any left over cake...my family will eat...lol

Again, thanks all...

imagenthatnj Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 11

I think you have to do the tail out of something strong. You could add tylose to fondant and make the tail ahead of time to let it dry. You could also use pastillage, which dries fast and hard.

http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questions_and_Answers/pastillage.htm

As for the ears, you could make cones of cardboard if anything else fails. But you could try rice krispies covered in fondant, or cover cardboard with plastic wrap and then form the ears around a cone with pastillage or fondant/tylose and let dry and remove the cardboard.

I hope you try any of this in advance!

Here are two other links for how the bottom cake could look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42171669@N06/4597737965/

http://superhero-parties.com/5-incredible-pokemon-birthday-cakes/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%