In Need: Guide For How Many Boxes Of Mix To Use

Decorating By Dreme Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 2:25pm by leily

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a guide somewhere where it already has the amount of box mixes you need for different size pans? 2" and 3" pans? Not cups of batter but how many boxes of mix. Just with the math already done.

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

There have been some post here on CC about how many boxes people used per pan. But there isn't a basic chart because every box mix makes a different amount of batter, expecially depending on the brand. It can range from 3-5 cups per box, so when you're getting into a pan that uses 12 cups of batter that could be either 4 boxes or 2-1/2. And then if you add anything to the box that makes a difference too.

What brand do you usually use? I use DH with a box of pudding and an egg added to it and I consistently get 5-1/2 to 6 cups of batter. So then it's just doing the math with the charts that have how many cups of batter.

for example on rounds
6" = 2 cups = 1/3 box
8" = 3-1/2 cups = 1/2 box
10" = 6 cups = 1 box

But if you're using PB or BC then you would need more boxes or more of abox.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

It is very hard to just have a list that says this information, because as was said above, the amount of batter does not just vary from brand to brand but also from flavor to flavor with in brands. Also if you doctor a mix or use the extender then your amounts will be different as well.

The best thing to do is take the mixes you use often and figure out how much batter they make, then use the cup charts and convert from there. Yeah you have to do some work and some math, but then you write that information down and can use it until you change brands or the companies change their mixes up.

An example of the differences...

I often bake in the 8x3 in round pan (uses 5 cups) for the first night of my Wilton Course. I change the flavor up every month or so. I have baked one mix of BC golden vanilla in the pan and not have it raise all the way to the top. I've baked one mix of BC Triple chocolate and had it hit the top of the pan if not bake over a little. Both of those were straight out of the box, no addtions added to it.

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 5

I believe the Wilton site has this info!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxbaker

I believe the Wilton site has this info!

The wilton chart has cups listed on it, unless they came out with a new one recently that has how many boxes. If they do, then it is for DH mix as that is who wilton is paired with (ever notice it on the DH boxes? something about Wilton approved something or other)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%