What To Do With White Chocolate Fondant That Is A Gooey Mess

Decorating By jmr531 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 10:28pm by jmr531

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

I have a tub of Albert Uster white chocolate fondant that turned into a gooey mess. I don't want to use it to cover cakes, but is it still good to use for something else, like tylose gumpaste for modeling figures or other decorations. Just thought I would check if I can salvage it for something before tossing it.

By the way, I thought I saw a thread about this same issue with this fondant before, but I couldn't find it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant that has "turned to a gooey mess" implies to me something that has broken down due to contamination or deterioration of an ingredient.

As sad as it would make me, I'd throw it out, post haste, rather than take a chance on it.

If bacteria, or a fungus (mold), has been feasting on all that sugar...............ugh.

JMHO
Rae

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 6

Fondant that has "turned to a gooey mess" implies to me something that has broken down due to contamination or deterioration of an ingredient.

As sad as it would make me, I'd throw it out, post haste, rather than take a chance on it.

If bacteria, or a fungus (mold), has been feasting on all that sugar...............ugh.

JMHO
Rae

jmr531 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:12am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the advice. I will be throwing the tub out icon_sad.gif
I've reported the problem to Albert Uster Imports too. Maybe they will be able to tell me what happened.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:06am
post #5 of 6

Uuuuggghhhh. wow that's interesting. The only time Ive used fondant from a bucket is when I worked at a grocery store bakery. I dont know what brand it was, but it seemed like that stuff lasted FOREVER. I mean, we would literally have the same bucket for a year and if it was covered good, it might be ok. A lot of times it just dried out, but never got gooey. I would suspect that cross contamination in the environment I worked in would not be a stretch of the imagination, but nothing like that ever happened to the fondant. Im curious to know what they tell you!

I make my fondant now, but if a batch isnt all that great, I might save whatever I have left for figures or to help stick a rice crispie sculpture together. I usually find uses for it. I just keep it in the freezer until I need it. If I get another bad batch, I throw the first one out and just rotate it if I dont end up using it. In any case, I hope you figure it out. If it is bacteria or fungus or whatever, that would be good to know so you can be aware of it for the future...and everyone else who reads this!

jmr531 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 6

A Sales Consultant at AUI responded to me and indicated that since my fondant is over a year old, it expired. She suggested that if you don't intend to use the product within a year, divide it into small portions, wrap each portion in plastic wrap, vacuum seal it, and store in the freezer. Allow it to defrost at room temp before using. If you are using the fondant within a year, then it is not necessary to freeze it, but doing so greatly increases the shelf life.

I think that if I do get the white chocolate fondant again, I'll just freeze it regardless of whether I think I will use it within a year. According to the consultant it contains milk powder, and I could've sworn that it turned to goo before the year was up. I just never thought to ask them about it until now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%