I Cut Fondant On My Cricut!

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm by GGFan

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 9

I can't believe it! Something actually worked for me the first time I tried it! I have a Cricut Create machine, and I used Linda McClure's video tips for cutting. I cut off the rollers, installed a deep blade housing and blade, rolled out some Satin Ice to a 4 on my Kitchenaid pasta roller, put it on a dollar store flexible cutting mat with a little Crisco, let it dry for 15 minutes, and cut some 1 and 1.5 inch letters out! I put the machine on slow speed, medium pressure. And it worked! This will make my 150 cupcakes with fondant initial plaques for an October wedding so much easier! I'm so excited! And I didn't have to buy a Cricut Cake to do it! I can't do the bigger border things for cakes, but that's okay! Smiling now! Sorry there's no pics... our camera broke and the new one hasn't come in yet.
Good luck to all of you on your Cricut cutting adventures!

Maria

8 replies
michellejohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellejohnson Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 9

Thanks for the great tip about cutting off the rollers!! I have tried so many times and just about given up. I will definitely try again now!! icon_smile.gif

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 9

So, please don't anyone jump all over me, but isn't that kind of unsanitary? I mean, the Cricut Cake is made for food use, the others aren't. I mean, it's not like the Cricut Police are going to jump out of the machine and yell at you, or anything. lol I guess some things just scare me.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 9

You could make those initial plaques ahead of time so when October comes you only need to bake and ice and put those plaques on icon_smile.gif

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 9

Ok wait a second here...you can use the regular cricut for cakes? Please tell me how again...My MIL got me one a few years ago and it sits in storage cause I dont do scrapbooking.....WOW- the possibilities.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimagination

Ok wait a second here...you can use the regular for cakes? Please tell me how again...My MIL got me one a few years ago and it sits in storage cause I dont do scrapbooking.....WOW- the possibilities.

You aren't supposed to. The cricut cake is made with stainless steel and food-grade parts that you can take out and clean, for sanitation reasons.

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 9

well, dont these come out, too? I wouldnt know as I have never used it. It has been sitting in its box taped up since she gave it to me 2 years ago- lol

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 9

I figure if I don't use it for paper (which I don't), it should be okay. I understand the concern, though.
I'll be starting on those plaques next week, GGFan! Super excited!

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

Have fun MariaK icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%