Would You Mind Helping Me Halve This Recipe?

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm by kansaslaura

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 8

half? I don't know the correct term! Lol

I am trying to do half of this cheesecake recipe, I figured the ganache and crust is ok halved but is it ok to just half the ingredients in the actual cheesecake. I am terrible at the science of baking!

Thank you! I'm posting the link because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to copy the recipe!

http://www.bakerella.com/cheesecake-bars/

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 8

It looks like it is the eggs that would be the issue, pesky little things, since everything else could be halved.

One thought would be to make the whole thing, in two smaller pans and freeze one. Since cheese cake is one of my favorite desserts I don't think I'd mind having some in the freezer.

If I was halving this I would either use two eggs, or take one egg scramble it and then use about half of it. You could also get an egg beater product and measure it out.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 8

This is one of those times where I wish more people presented their recipes in a form to use scaled. Scaled recipies are much easier to halve. However, this isn't too bad. A large egg is 2 oz. One oz is yolk and the other is white. So, 3 large eggs should come up to 6 oz. Therefore you need 3 oz of eggs to halve the recipe. I'd put two eggs in a bowl, mix them up, then measuer out 3 oz.

JaeRodriguez Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks you guys, I was figuring the eggs to be the pesky part, so I did what dchockeyguy suggested! It came out great!

Texas, all I need is to have a half of this cheesecake in my freezer! icon_biggrin.gif haha those four pounds I've lost would be back and they'd bring their friends!! :] I thought about it but this recipe is so good I KNOW I'd eat the whole thing by myself!

Thank you for the help!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 8

I made some cheese cake bars for 4th of July. They were based off the Somoa Girl Scout Cookies and oh my they are awesome! If we had that many left overs that went in my freezer they would not have stayed there long. So I can totally understand. icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 8

The way I half an odd number of eggs for a recipe is to remember recipes are generally calling for a large egg. A large egg by volume is 1/4 cup. Break the eggs, beat together, and measure out the needed volume for the recipe. In this case, 3/8 of a cup.

The rest goes back into the fridge for the next cake or breakfast!

JaeRodriguez Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 8

Kansaslaura, I don't like eggs so I scrambled it for my baby to eat! He loved it! :] I feel like "duh" for not thinking of just scrambling and measuring! haha

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 8

Glad to help--it's why we're all here icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%