First Time Wedding Cake

Decorating By shannon1363 Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm by elliespartycake

shannon1363 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon1363 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new to this site and have a lot of questions. I made my first fondant cake a few months ago and it turned out great. Now my brother wants me to make his wedding cake. I am very excited to work with fondant again but also nervous too! I need some assistance with the timing of all the steps involved. The wedding is Friday, Sept. 24. My plan was to bake the cakes in advance (probably Tuesday), cool them then stick in the freezer overnight. My goal to was to apply fondant and decorate on Thursday. At what point do I remove them from the freezer to thaw and how long will that take for a 6", 8", 10" & 12" (all will be 2" tall) [I will be stacking to make 4" tall for each]. I'm just trying to get a timeline of once I remove them from the freezer, when can I add BC crumbcoat and then fondant. I know the cake should probably be thawed before applying the fondant so that no moisture builds up.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you. I really need a beginners timeline of how and when to do things from start to finish. I did do a test cake and it turned out well except I think I applied the fondant before the cake was thaw. I just want to do a great job for my brother. Thanks!

3 replies
deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 4

I don't have a lot of experience with fondant, but i do freeze my cakes. If I was to bake on Tuesday then freeze and wanted to ice on Thursday when I got home from work I would probably take them out on Wednesday night before I went to bed. 12 hours is probably enough, but a little extra won't hurt.

did you do a forum search for freezing? I know the searches are a bit of a pain but you should come up with something usable.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 4

I freeze my cakes as well. I have to decorate one tonight so i took it out of the freezer before I left for work. It will be ready to go when I get home. Just keep it wrapped up.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 4

I bake, level and torte my cake layers ahead of time; then wrap very well and freeze. I remove from the freezer the day before I want to apply the fondant. I don't thaw, but I fill and crumb coat my cakes, cover and pop in the fridge. Then, when I'm ready to apply the fondant I remove each layer, cover with fondant and decorate. I stack using dowels or bubble straws.

A few years ago when I made my first wedding cake I used a book by Dede Wilson, "Wedding Cakes You Can Make". It was very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%