These are all things I should know but I'd love some reassurance from people!
I'm doing a 6, 8, 10, 12 combo. I just did one for my niece's wedding at the start of August but for some reason this one has me much more nervous. The 10 inch is causing me a bit of stress; I did chocolate w/ a ganache-2:1 ratio. I didn't wait quite long enough and the cake slide a fair bit but after I let it chill for a while it was fine. The cake added up to ~3 inches, and now that it's frosted it's just shy of 4 inches. So there is more than enough ganache in there, right? My concern is there isn't enough ganache in between each cake. It's a very moist cake and I've had it where the ganache melted into the cake so to speak and it was delicious but I really prefer separated layers.
Also, the design is modeled after her dress. I had planned on coloring my fondant ivory and piping on with royal icing and painting the royal icing. The wedding is Saturday afternoon; I had planned on piping Friday or possible Saturday morning. Will the royal melt into the fondant or leave grease marks? My experience has taught me it'll be fine but I'm really second guessing myself right now.
My timeline right now is to remove the cakes from the freezer Thursday evening and leave them in cool air conditioning overnight then cover with fondant on Friday. I prefer to let the fondant sit overnight before decorating in case of sagging, etc. I need to leave at 2 on Saturday for the delivery; I should have more than enough time to do the piping and painting Saturday. Would it be better to cover and pipe on Friday?
The border will be edible pearls, which I have done and painted. But I don't have a vehicle big enough to transport the cake stacked so I will stack it at the venue. I'm not going to center dowel since it'll be stacked there but I will need to attach all the pearls to each base. Has anyone done this? I rarely in the past transported unfinished cakes so I'm not certain how long to give myself for setup time.
I'd love any advice and reassurance anyone could give me! I usually have pretty good instincts but I'm a bit unsettled right now.
ahh wedding cake gitters...
I would definitely cover in fondant and decorate friday. WHy? Because you want to make sure your ganache is strong enough to withstand the room temperature. If it was sliding before, I would be afraid of it doing it again. better safe than sorry, and it leaves you time to fix it.
The RI will not bleed into the fondant. your instincts are right.
I have only assebled one cake on site. so I dont have much to offer there. but I would go early enough to allow for any unforeseen circumstances. Plus you dont want to be in a hurry and stressed.
Good luck. It will all be fine.
Thank you very much. I SHOULD know all of this, but the reassurance is very nice. I'm definitely covering with fondant tomorrow; but I'm torn between decorating tomorrow and doing it Saturday. I like to let my fondant sit at least a few hours to allow for any settling. I'm worried if I cover and decorate tomorrow and settling occurs I'll be out the fondant time and the decorating time. I'm not too worried about the ganache; I was impatient and didn't let the cake cool quite enough or the ganache sit long enough so it was a little thinner but it set nicely. I did a thin crumb coat in ganache then did a double layer of SMBC on the outside. There is a lot of embroidery; so maybe I'll cover first thing tomorrow morning and start piping in the afternoon. Then Saturday paint the embroidery work...