Edible Pearls

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm by infinitsky

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 14

Hi fellow cake decorators!

I need silver edible pearls. any suggestions? I have made my own before and then colored them with a vodka luster dust mix, but it was alot of work for my poor husband who rolled every pearl! also saw something that you dust them with silver luster dust dry? will the dust stick?

thanks for your help.

13 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure where you are located but you probably will find silver dagrees on craft or bulk stores.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, depending on the size you need you can probably order silver dragees.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 14

I ordered silver dragees on eBay, and they had different sizes.

kweenofengland Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 14

ok. learned something new. never even heard of Dragees....so thanks! now...what is the best size and the best way to attach them to fondant?

kweenofengland Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 14

was trying to upload a picture of the cake that the bride likes, but for some reason it won't attach? gosh! uuuggghhh.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 14

For borders I usually go 6mm and up....icon_smile.gif

kweenofengland Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 14

ok, well these pearls would be all over the cake at the intersections of a quilt pattern. and i have a design question for anyone willing....

the cake is Dark purple (yes i know...) and has a silver ribbon border and silver pearls like i said at intersections of quilt pattern on top and bottom tiers. then white calalillies on the top and accented around each layer. I am wondering if an offwhite ribbon and offwhite pearls would not look better with the calalillies....
or would the contrast be too much?

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 14

if the cake is covered in BC the dagrees should just be attached to it, if fondant, you need to use RI or melted white chocolate.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:08am
post #10 of 14

The way I do it is to push a small indent into the intersection with the smallest ball tool or embossing tool you have.. then a tiny dab of piping gel then put your dragee into it. (i would use a 3 or 4 mm dragee)

kween.... you know your bride best. Look at the rest of her wedding and decide..... does she have alot of silver accent or is it mostly off white... what is the ambiance.... is it upscale and more traditional... or are they young n kind of funky.... it all adds up and will tell you your answer.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if all else fails.... ask the bride...*LOL*

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:12am
post #11 of 14

For future reference if you don't want to use dragee's on your next cake requiring them, this is a great tutorial:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 14

LisaPeps, what a great link!! Thank you for posting that, I am definitely going to give this a try!!! thumbs_up.gif

kweenofengland Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 14

LisaPeps - this is how I made them before...or should I say this is how my husband made them. It took a while and I am just being lazy this time! someone else from CC told me how to do the pearls myself...cant remember who... I may do this depending on time! thanks!

oh and I have no idea about this bride. have never even met her, all i know is she is driving me nuts! haha! seems nice, but indecisive. of course, here I am trying to change her mind again. her cake being purple is supposed to match the bridesmaids' dresses...lol.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks LisaPeps, for posting the tutorial link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%