The Wedding Is When????? Quick Vent.

Decorating By nhbaker Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm by adamsmom

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 3

Just got a call from a bride that starting by saying "XX gave me your name (a fellow decorator -- first red flag!!)", then "I was looking at your website and I noticed you have a $200 minimum . . . not sure how to order a wedding cake, etc. etc (more red flags!). So I start the usual questions, like how many servings does she need, etc. Then I ask her when is the wedding is and she says (like it's no big deal) October 3rd!!! THIS October 3rd??? Yes. I just laughed and told her I was booked and she sounded a little put out and then said that she had a backup plan anyway. (most likely a grocery store cake).

I mean seriously??? Ordering an occasional cake less that three weeks out is bad enough, but a wedding cake??? I'm already booking dates for a year from now!

Sometimes you just want to reach through the phone and smack these people upside the head!!

2 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 3

Hahaha....when I first read this I thought you lived in near me in the same county/state!!!! No one here must watch Martha Stewart or the other wedding shows to know you should order your cake at least 6 months ahead of time. Not six days.....

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 3

I totally understand! I had a bride that came to me 2 weeks before her wedding asking what I would charge for a "simple" all red 2-tiered cake with black fondant flowers at the base of both tiers. I was actually available and ended up doing the cake but not before getting a phone call saying that her car got repoed and she lost my information. icon_confused.gif Red Flag!!!!! She then said she still would like the cake and wanted to get my address to send me some more $. After that call I received another one 3 days before cake was due. They then asked if I could meet them at the farmer's market (they initially were to pick it up from my house) because they didn't know the area that well. icon_mad.gif Ugh! At that point I kindly reminded them what the balance was and since the balance was less than $100 I either need cash or money order. I was making sure not to give them a cake for almost free. In the end I will definitely NOT change the place where it will be picked up. VERY glad that cake is done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%