The Next Great Cake Artist ?????

Lounge By sharinSharon Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm by costumeczar

sharinSharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharinSharon Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 37

It's so UNFAIR!
For those of you who haven't heard - and I may be minimizing my chances here, but i only want to compete with the best..... Cake Boss's Buddy and TLC had a casting post for a new competition show to find the next great cake artist. It is EXACTLY the kind of break I have been praying for for the past 2 years! I applied and got a positive response from my app but then heard nothing. I was freaking out that maybe I didn't get picked - maybe I'm not what they were looking for, which in my mind is totally insane! I am a totally self taught decorator that is financially strapped with 3 kids and can't afford to lease a space in order to have a full time business. And to top it off - it's illegal in my state to sell any baked goods out of my home - so i'm risking everything to keep up my craft! This show is the only way I could get the break I need to really blossom and kick tushy in decorating like I know I will!
ANYWAYS.... the show is on hold because of the legal trouble that Remy (one of the bakers) is in. I noticed that TLC isn't even airing any CB episodes - which totally sucks because Buddy and his family didn't do anything wrong. All I can do is pray, pray and pray some more that eventually it all works out and this show does happen!
Have any of you applied for this show?

36 replies
saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 37

From what I understand, it has already been cast. Here is what I found: http://www.facebook.com/#!/DMB.Casting?v=wall

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 37

I agree with Saberger, I'm friends with HottCakez and she's been accepted already.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 37

Casting was complete before the legal issues with Remy. Ashlee Perkins is one of the contestants, and I took a class from her a couple of weeks ago. She was filling us in on what was going on.

sharinSharon Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 37

I guess I never had a chance with this show cuz when I first saw the posting about it on TLC it was a month past that casting girls facebook post about the 20 finalists. THAT SUCKS, and it makes me upset a little! If you cast it - take the casting post down. Talk about getting your hopes up and then crushed.

I hope there is a second season - i should just start applying now! What I hope I don't see as contestants are people who already have a successful business! That would drive me totally BONKERS! I do know more people like me that are truly amazing decorators and just have that one thing stacked against them that stops them from taking off! Mine is money! I can't meet the demand i get because it is illegal for me to sell cakes out of my home in my state. And to lease a place is insanely expensive! So, i risk getting caught every day. I even have a lot of the appliances I need already - it is the cost of a space that is holding me back. so this type of show is the break - or blessing as I would see it - that someone like me needs and deserves! If I see someone competing on the show that already has a significant business with a good sized clientele - well, it would upset me! Almost as much as hearing those girls on TLC's "Cupcake Girls" when they said.. "we didn't open up Cupcakes because we wanted to bake cupcakes, that wasn't the point..." That made me sick!

Sorry guys! I'm not a negative nanny! Just someone who has been praying and praying for an answer to her prayers! icon_surprised.gifp And I would really hope that the legal trouble of Remy would not hinder the show from continuing as planned - that would be heartbreaking for the contestants. I will be doing everything I can to get noticed if there is another season! Maybe Duff will do it next! hahahaha icon_surprised.gif) For now I concentrate on my entry for the Cake Central Wedding Cake of the Year! YEAH!

ps... off topic, but.....since the Cake Girls in Chicago are on Amazing Wed Cakes this season, does that mean they are all built back up from the fire? Or were the episodes taped before the fire? anyone know?

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 37

I believe when CC posted the story about the tragedy for the Cake Girls the article noted that the next seasons episodes were "already in the can", so I think what we will be seeing was filmedprior to the fire. Like I said, I know that I read it somewhere, but please don't quote me on "WHERE" I read it!

PS- Another off subject....

Miss SharinSharon...why aren't you SHARIN' photos of your "truly amazing decorating" with the rest of us CC'ers? I'd love to see your work...that's why I'm on CC- so I can oogle over other decorators art! Please?????? icon_smile.gif

-Michelle

sharinSharon Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 37

Tust me, I would LOVE to post everything I do!!!! BUT, I have a specific reason for not posting any photos. unfortunately I live in a state where the law states you must be located in a commercially zoned area to sell anything. To make the issue worse, the health inspector of our county is a total ASS! (when i asked him what the regulations were, he told me to "go stuff envelopes like the rest of the stay at home moms should do"!!!! NOT KIDDING!) I know 2 women who were posting pics of their stuff on a website and were advertising on a low key basis and they both got pegged and shut down. I don't know if they permanently stopped - but i don't see their adv. any more and I haven't talked to them since they let me know what happened. the weird thing was they both had it happen around the same time????!!!! Rumor was that it was a guy that lived in the same county that was trying to run an auto body shop in his garage and he got shut down because the noise was atrocious... he got mad and made it a point to snitch out anyone doing what he felt he should be free to do. the whole thing was just way out of hand unfortunately.
so..... i just choose to be EXTRA careful. if you don't believe i'm a cake decorator and do great work.... well, your loss i guess.

to anyone in a similar situation.... GOD BLESS YA! It is NOT easy! It's as if everything is stacked against us. ANd before you all jump on me - we are 1 of 2 states in the entire USA that has this law in place. So how are we supposed to get ahead and start a business? just to lease a small space around here is around $1500/month! But I am determined and I WILL get there... it's why I risk doing what I do everyday! It's my life - and I love making people smile! icon_surprised.gif) icon_smile.gif

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 37

Oh boy.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 37

wow.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 37

Well it's obviously TLC's loss, I bet they feel stupid now.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 37

Good luck to you. Unfortunately in this life sometimes its not what you know, but who you know. Too bad you can't get a silent partner, or some financial backing to get you on your way.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharinSharon

It's as if everything is stacked against us. ANd before you all jump on me - we are 1 of 2 states in the entire USA that has this law in place. So how are we supposed to get ahead and start a business?

I'm not sure what law you're talking about, i'm assuming it's that you can't have a home based bakery from the rest of your post. But there are definitely more than 2 states in the USA that don't allow this. It is much RARER to find a state that does. There are only 3 or 4 that allow it in your home's family kitchen. Others allow you to build out on your house or property, but most require it be off your homes premises.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 37

This has got to be a joke.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 37

A troll? There must be a million of those on a board this big!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 37

You think?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

A troll? There must be a million of those on a board this big!

I thought so too.. but then they've been trolling for 3 years

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:41am
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

No doubt, because isn't it a tad strange to be concerned with a personal cake op when Buddy's family is upside down? Even if the family isn't involved, do people really think they'd want any added attention?? The crime is a serious subject and situation...that trumps any cake show. icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

Quote:

No doubt, because isn't it a tad strange to be concerned with a personal cake op when Buddy's family is upside down? Even if the family isn't involved, do people really think they'd want any added attention?? The crime is a serious subject and situation...that trumps any cake show. icon_confused.gif

Even if that wasn't the situation I'd hope it was a joke, but it sure would make for some good cakezilla-type drama!

kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #19 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even if that wasn't the situation I'd hope it was a joke, but it sure would make for some good cakezilla-type drama!

CakeZilla...in 3-D
now playing in theaters 1 & 5 icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #20 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CakeZilla...in 3-D
now playing in theaters 1 & 5 icon_biggrin.gif

Attack of the angry criscocreme!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:25am
post #21 of 37

Please tell me someone remembers Tatiana del Toro from American Idol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOX--18WSA&NR=1

Now just picture Tatiana trying to make it as a Cake Artist icon_smile.gif

Jcat45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jcat45 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:31am
post #22 of 37
Quote:

It has to be, right? icon_confused.gif

Jcat45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jcat45 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Please tell me someone remembers Tatiana del Toro from American Idol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOX--18WSA&NR=1

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Ha! I remember her well! Hey, she wouldn't be able to make it as a cake artist 'cause she'd be cryin' all over the buttercream!!!! LOL!!!!!

costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:24am
post #25 of 37

I'm thinking more along the lines of bikini girl skill level and attitude

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 37

I see nothing wrong with the CakeGirls stating they didn't start their business because they wanted to bake cupcakes.

Most people don't have a job because they are passionate about, say, selling hot coffee or blouses to people.
Most people have a job to pay for a place to live and clothes and food. So what if their's is cupcakes?
If people could make a living with their passions, there would be a lot more art in the world, and a lot less people selling little plastic toys.

kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:51pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

If people could make a living with their passions, there would be a lot more art in the world, and a lot less people selling little plastic toys.

That wouldn't be so good for the people making the little plastic toys. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #28 of 37

[quote="7yyrt"]I see nothing wrong with the CakeGirls stating they didn't start their business because they wanted to bake cupcakes.
quote]

I love that show, because it's about the business, not about the stupid cupcakes (I hate cupcakes.) If more people had a clue about the business side of their business, there wouldn't be so many posts on here about "so-and-so didn't pay me now what do I do" and others in that vein.

sharinSharon Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:20pm
post #29 of 37

THANK YOU THANK YOU to those who made me smile! I'm an artist - and it may be ignorant and stupid at times... but i ALWAYS keep trying! I won't give up - and with or without a cake show, there IS a cake shop in my future! icon_lol.gif

Now, about the whole "illegal in Wisconsin" thing... you are right, there are more than 2 states that won't let you sell cakes from your home kitchen - i should have explained even further.... WI won't even let you build a second separate kitchen/work space on to your home! The only way you can "sell" anything in WI, legally, is if you produce it in a facility that is located in a "commercially zoned" area! My hubby and I wanted to build a little shop either in the basement with its own access or increase the size of the garage and remodel it in to a shop (completely losing everything that says garage of course!) But no go! I even have the major appliances I need already - just no place to use them. I've asked the cafe in town, the diner down the street, 2 churches and the kids school if I could lease "oven time" from them in order to at least get started in any way I could. Still - no go! I think God might be helping me though - a new cake shop opened up in town about 8 months ago and they are already in dire staits! And it's sad cuz I asked if I could work out a deal with them and come work for them in a sense since they don't do much but the old fashion BC cakes - not much more than the PickNSave up the road - but they wouldn't hear of it at all. Now they are going to be out of business soon. So maybe it's really bad timing with the economy right now. I still do pretty good at home - it's just added stress to BE at home considering.

About the Cupcake Girls show on TLC.... I can get past the fact that they don't like cupcakes or don't know a thing about how to make a good one and they sell them.....What I can't get past is the fact that they have a show about it! There are WAY more cake decorators out there that run a business successfully that could teach the same type of message AND show some great ARTWORK and passion in what they do! I just take it personal that most of us who do cakes and cupcakes do so out of passion and love for baking and decorating and these to yahoo girls just wanted to make a buck by jumping on a "Sprinkles" based bandwagon!! And they now get paid to be on TV because of the business side???? They are out of money so they can't be that good at business either! It's just my opinion

costumeczar Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:27pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharinSharon

About the Cupcake Girls show on TLC.... I can get past the fact that they don't like cupcakes or don't know a thing about how to make a good one and they sell them.....What I can't get past is the fact that they have a show about it! There are WAY more cake decorators out there that run a business successfully that could teach the same type of message AND show some great ARTWORK and passion in what they do! I just take it personal that most of us who do cakes and cupcakes do so out of passion and love for baking and decorating and these to yahoo girls just wanted to make a buck by jumping on a "Sprinkles" based bandwagon!! And they now get paid to be on TV because of the business side???? They are out of money so they can't be that good at business either! It's just my opinion

They're expanding too fast, IMO. Doesn't mean they're not good at business, but it might. Editing is everything in those shows, so I'm sure they only show the more dramatic events. If more people understood the work that goes into a business they wouldn't necessarily even want to go into business to begin with. This show might be a good wake-up call for people who think that it would be a ton of fun to open a cake shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%