Cracks In My Icing?!

Decorating By jtcreativecakes Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm by aundrea

jtcreativecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtcreativecakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 5

Ive been decorating cakes for 5 years now, and just quit working at a bakery I loved, due to having my second baby. Im still doing cakes on my own though. I ordered a awesome butter cream icing that decorates beautifuly but !!! When I finished stacking my wedding cake all these cracks appeared icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Out of 5 years of doing cakes at the bakery this has never happened, now all a sudden this problem at home?! Has anyone else had a similar problem? or has any suggestions icon_sad.gif I have a huge 3 tiered baby shower cake due this weekend and im scared to death the same thing will happen again! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 5

I can't be much help, but I'm sure someone here can. Knowing the brand of icing that you are using would probably help, in case other have had experience with the same brand.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

could be a problem with the boards or support rather than the bc, if the dowels move or the bords arent strong enough, the cakes could move, and crack.
not sure what would be a problem to cause the bc to crack of its own accord, what brand is it? might help people to respond if they had the same problem.
xx

jtcreativecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtcreativecakes Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 5

hmm maby I could use 2 boards instead of one?( Does anyone do that?) I get my boards from bakery crafts, and the brand of icing is karps bestovall by brill. When I worked at the bakery I use to use a butter cream called country white, by Allan. When we were busy with holidays we use to order the brill icing in colors and I always loved working with it and also I liked the taste, but I only used it for borders and decorations, not to ice the whole cake like im doing at home...
ps thanks for your replies im new at the site and still learning how to use it icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 5

we are discussing the same thing right now - maybe some of the responses here can help you.
im on a mission myself to get the darn little cracks out of my icing!
good luck and share any ideas you may have as well:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6939609-.html#6939609

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%