Need Help Pricing This Cake....please

Decorating By Meghan1010 Updated 25 May 2012 , 5:08pm by SoFloGuy

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:24am
post #31 of 43

Indydebi: you brought tears to my eyes with your humor on about isle 8...omgosh,,you are too funny, that I always loved your comments..they just crack me up b/c they are so true too! Thanks for the laughs always! I"m still smiling..so funny.

Abisnail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abisnail Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm
post #32 of 43

I have the undercharging problem too!! I made an 8" round cake with a large fondant character topper and 2 dozen cupcakes...I was heavily pregnant and it took me all day, about 8 hours as I was a beginner. It cost me £28 to make as I was new to it and hadn't sourced the bargain suppliers that I have now and I went and charged the girl £40! WHAT AN IDIOT! I have learnt and am slowly, discreetly putting my prices up!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:14pm
post #33 of 43

The decorator/bakery your photo came from charges $4.25 per slice for wedding cakes, with any hand made decor, extra.

The chart they have on the website for serving size, rounds...

6 inch - 14
8 inch - 25
9 inch - 32
10 inch - 39
12 inch - 56
14 inch - 77
16 inch - 100
18 inch - 127

You're making a 14, 12, 10. By the chart thats 172 x $4.25 = $731

I enlarged the photo as much as I could, and from what I can make out, the grapes and vines are not real, they're artificial. The piping looks to be squiggly lines with small white leaves piped at random.

$4.25 per slice is not that unreasonable what with the cost of supplies these days, plus theres your time to consider. If you can get that in your area, I say go for it, don't sell yourself short. Too many of us do just that, we don't charge enough for our work and end up regretting it.

midniteaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midniteaddiction Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:59pm
post #34 of 43

i go by how much supplies is and i atleast pay my self 10 dollars a hr but iam just starting out so my 2 tiers r 65 n 3 tiers r 75,,, and thats with out fondant. add 20 for fondant my cake teacher has copyrighter hers n theres all flavors..... and it cost about 19 for a block of fondant

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:45pm
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

The decorator/bakery your photo came from charges $4.25 per slice for wedding cakes, with any hand made decor, extra.

6 inch - 14
8 inch - 25
9 inch - 32
10 inch - 39
12 inch - 56
14 inch - 77
16 inch - 100
18 inch - 127

I enlarged the photo as much as I could, and from what I can make out, the grapes and vines are not real, they're artificial. The piping looks to be squiggly lines with small white leaves piped at random.

$4.25 per slice is not that unreasonable what with the cost of supplies these days, plus theres your time to consider. If you can get that in your area, I say go for it, don't sell yourself short. Too many of us do just that, we don't charge enough for our work and end up regretting it.

The $731 price does that include decorations? just trying to get a better understanding of this

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 11:05pm
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcakeboy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

6 inch - 14
8 inch - 25
9 inch - 32
10 inch - 39
12 inch - 56
14 inch - 77
16 inch - 100
18 inch - 127

The $731 price does that include decorations? just trying to get a better understanding of this

Hand made decorations would be extra.

We would probably charge in the $5-6/serving range ($860-1032) for the cake pictured, including the decorations.

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

teaparty, your story reminded me of one where a friend asked for a quote for a sandwich lunch for a meeting. He was about 20 mins away and I waived the delivery fee for him and quoted $175. he about flipped!

"$175 for SANDWICHES?????" he said.......

indydebi,
I loved your explanation!! lol I've actually used that same logic in other areas and it never fails to get an awesome reaction.

I had a colleague contact me asking about a fire engine cake for her son's b-day. When I told her that my cakes "started" at $60 and then went up from there, she was floored. Claimed that it was expensive.

I had to remind her that she's not purchasing a grocery store cookie cutter cake but rather a custom made edible work of art instead. Once she saw that I was actually turning out several cakes that people were really happy with, she decided to go ahead and order the cake anyways since I was becoming "popular".

I almost didn't do it because of not being good enough for her until she saw that I was "popular". Then decided to make it for her out of spite to show her what I actually do.

I have found this entire post very helpful. After doing my last wedding cake I need to take better care of myself when making my cakes.

thank you

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 9:16pm
post #38 of 43

Hello folks

Tried to be careful what you are paying yourself also. I noticed people mentioning $10 an hour and that is 20,800 yearly which is below the poverty line for a family of four.

Then I noticed some people don't charge either as they feel they are not experienced enough. I had this same idea when I first started out and absolutely cringe when I look in my gallery and all those beginning cakes. When I started out I made one cake a week for all 52 weeks my first year to teach myself how. And needless to say they were all hideous.

But at some point you need to start charging if they ask you to make a cake.

Some posts in this thread have friends telling them how expensive the cakes are, well I always tell them, I don't make cakes for everyone and it depends on what you want and if I don't have a previous engagement during that period.

Because one time I spent an awful weekend putting tiny little eyes on Teddie Bear Graham Crackers for an ugly Woman's Day cake that was on their cover. I hated every moment of it and for the longest time told people no, I will not bake your cake for you.

Sometimes just saying that makes them take a step back and remind them I am choosey too. As I don't just want any old goof, or pain in neck or bridezilla hounding me! They can make their cake themselves unless the decide they will pay me what I request and that the design is mine and not a carbon copy of some ugly cake that I will hate!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #39 of 43

This is such a great way to explain cake pricing. Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #40 of 43

icon_wink.gif

I think it is easy to understand, and it helps to see the examples of the numbers. I for one sometimes need to see the 'math' used for it to click.

ieatcakes157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatcakes157 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:14am
post #41 of 43

This thread is great icon_smile.gif
Someone wants me to make them a cake, and has asked me how much id charge. I havent got back to her yet as i really havent a clue.
I'm just a beginner, and my cakes really arn't that great. Actually id feel really embarrased to sell one!
I was just thinking of charging her for whatever the ingredients and stuff costs.

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:12pm
post #42 of 43

To ieatcakes: DON'T EVER, EVER, EVER...EVER do yourself the disservice of giving away your time. I only say this because a few years I met a lady and did this. She has been a HUHA (reference following link:

) customer ever since..."well, last year you only charged me..." You get the idea.

It all came to a head this past weekend and has ended quite ugly. I should have saved myself much time and stress and charged her full price each time. She would then have the option of saying no.

If you feel your cakes aren't where you know they will be with more practice, then sell your services for $8-$12/hour. 13 years ago I made $12/hour at Wal-Mart as their decorator. And believe me, their standards are not that high. I am sure you are definitely worth more than you think. We are always our own worst critic.

In the mean time this woman has totally undermined my confidence. I said I wouldn't let it get the better of me, but honesly, it has. Save yourself much future stress and regret.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 25 May 2012 , 5:08pm
post #43 of 43

This is very interesting. I took some treats to a social meeting and one guy said we should pay you to bring it every week, each week a different person brings something in, well in theory, this is my second time in about 8 weeks, which means only 7 others of the 30 or so that meet up (men of course) have brought things in. Most buy something to bring in and that is fine. I brought it 3 baked desserts and some grapes and some white cheese. I figure everything cost me about $20 and I did it because I wanted to, but it is a few hours work baking. I might bring in a nicer cake in a few weeks, if someone likes it and wants me to make it, (2 layer 8 inch cake with buttercream) I would charge $12 for it and without a box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%