Business By Allyssanb Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm by leily

Allyssanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allyssanb Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 4

ive been asked to do my older sisters wedding cake as the hotel she wil be getting married at and having the reception at they don't have a baker at in Lawerence ,Kansas, which i cant understand at this point . im trying to find out how i would go about this since i would be flying in to Kansas from Maryland for the wedding and im not sure how much of a legal issue this would be since i dont want to get in trouble with the law since she is asking me to do this for her as she has talked with some bakers already and they want to charge quite a bit of money just for the cake itself and not alot for the cupcakes that she is planning on having

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 4

Legally, if you accept any money for the cake (even just the cost of ingredients), you also accept liability for anything that goes wrong with the cake. For example, if someone gets sick from your cake, they can sue you. The chances of this happening are remote, but it's something to keep in mind. If you make the cake for free, you are on firmer ground liability-wise.

The venue may also have rules about serving food made by individuals without liability insurance.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

Legality aside - Are you talking about making the cake and transporting it? Because I'll tell you what - I transported a cake to Lawrence for my niece's wedding a couple of weeks ago and it was only a 2-1/2 hour car ride, and totally nerve-wracking. I thought I was going to go to pieces.

And that being said - Lawrence has plenty of bakers, and is only 20 miles from KC. She has quite a few local that she can pick from, I'm sure - unless she is wanting this cake for a ridiculously low price.

I'd decline if it were me. She has lots of options where they don't have to transport anything (cake or supplies).

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 4

First - find out if the hotel will allow a non-licensed person to bring a cake in. Soem venues require a license for food.

Second - if you're planning on doing this as a gift then I don't think you have to worry about licensing issues (as long as the venue doesn't require it) It's a gift so the health department shouldn't have an issue with this. BUT please verify this if there any concerns with the local health department as mentioned above though if you're considering taking any thing in return for the cake (whether it is monetary or a gift of another sort) then you should contact the local health department to find out what the legalities of the area are, i'm not in Kansas so I can't give you definite advice.

Third - If you do the cake, this is what I have done in the past. I have not traveled that far to do a cake before, but I have traveled about 10 hours. I preparred the cake, icing, filling in my own kitchen so I was using equipment i was used to and comfortable with. Then I froze my cakes and packed them in a cooler along with the icing and filling for the trip (I drove, not sure if you're planning on flying or driving) And I had a suitcase full of my tools (tips, colors, paint brushes, fondant, roller, fondant mat, etc..) Then once there I used a family members kitchen to assemble everything and decorate. I didn't have any issues and by the time I got to my destination my cakes were cool and perfect to start decorating right away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%