Sushi Themed Cake

Decorating By mactrio Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 4:22am by mactrio

mactrio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mactrio Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I am NOT a decorator at all. I simply LOVE to bake and create new recipes and tweak box mixes etc...I've picked up a few tips/techniques here and there but I've never taken a class or sold cakes or anything like that.

My son wants his 11th b-day party at a local sushi/hibachi restaurant and I thought I'd bake a cake and decorate it like it has sushi, wasabi, ginger etc...on top.

Any ideas? I've NEVER used fondant or gumpaste or made any flowers or anything. I'm very creative so I've thought about using green fruit rollups and roll up some swedish fish and maybe put a bit of flaked coconut on it. Perhaps I could cut a twinkie and wrap it in fruit roll ups as well. Any other ideas?

5 replies
pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

I love the idea of a sushi cake/desserts. I think you have the right idea using green fruit leather, gummy fish, chocolate sprinkles, mini donuts, fresh fruit. I'm trying to post photos for you, but encountering an error... I will see what I can do to get them up here. For now... you can visit my idea photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pipercakes/IdeasFood

I hope this helps!

mactrio Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 6

Those are adorable. Thank you so much! I'll post my pics after I make it.

moonbabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonbabel Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

i love the idea of using a twinkie for forming the rolls!!

i did a sushi cake a while back and used white sprinkles for rice and was really happy with the results. green buttercream made easy wasabi and various colours of fondant were great for the centers and ginger.

here is a link to show how well the rice came out icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1714622.html

look forward to pics of your finished work!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

Hi i have one in my photos. It was made for my special nephew. He loved it. I think i told how i made it. I got the idea from elisa strousse's book. I used b/c instead of fondant. He doesn,t like fondant. I made lots of things ahead of time. The day of decorating was a cinch. It was so fun to make.

mactrio Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 6

Thanks ya'll. I'm printing and saving pics and tips now. They are all pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%