I Got Way More Than I Bargained For.. Ick!

Lounge By kansaslaura Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm by SueW

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 11

I buy less and less at Wal-Mart. No meat, dairy, produce, anything in a cooler. I thought plastic wrap would at least be safe...take a look at what I found when I opened a brand new roll today.

10 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 11

icon_eek.gif are you kidding????

What did they say when you brought it back to the store??

Just EEWWW!!!!! thumbsdown.gif

kansaslaura Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 11

I just found it, opened it to use while working on a cake. It will go back, trust me!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 11

tapedshut.gif I would bring your rolling pin! icon_lol.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 11

Oh that is just awful!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:22am
post #6 of 11

WOW ... that is nasty.... is it several layers into the wrap? icon_surprised.gif

kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #7 of 11

I don't know how far down it is, but when I ran my finger across that area I didn't feel a hump where the insect it--soooo.. I'm thinking it's in there pretty good. Reminds me of those fossils they find in amber. Except I almost wrapped this one around a cake! thumbsdown.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:01am
post #8 of 11

It is gross and I'd definitely return it, too, but that said,

I doubt that any plastic wrap is actually put on the roll in a sanitized clean room. I really don't feel that this constitutes an act of gross negligence or poor manufacturing process. Just the heat generated in the rolling process of the saran would probably have sterilized the bug and the saran, anyway.

I can see how an errant crane fly/mosquito, etc. might make it onto/into something--things can't be made in a vacuum. Since the bug isn't metallic, it wouldn't get picked up by any metal detectors and it's so small and colorless it would never be seen by the human eye.

Heck, there are charts citing USDA tolerance levels for bugs and other things in items like flour and sugar, and spiders are found in bunches of bananas all of the time...
Just the circle of life. Better luck next time.

Rae

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 11

I told the health inspector that I'd only had once incident where I opened a package of coconut and found ants inside it. His reply was that if it had only happened once, then I was lucky!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 11

Surprise!! you won the golden bug contest!! your prize.. free lifetime supply of saran wrap!! (mosquito optional) icon_lol.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 11

oh now thats nasty!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%