Wholesale Gum Trag In Uk

Decorating By jimmers Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm by ChilliPepper

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm new to all this and I just signed up to this website tonight. You lot all seem to know what you're talking about so I was hoping you might be able to help. I'm in the UK and I want to buy larger pots of gum tragacanth. I only seem to be able to buy 14g pots which are costing me a fortune!!
I've seen larger pots but they all seem to be packaged by the seller and I'm concerned about how pure they are.
Thanks for reading

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 5

You are correct in your concern. Not all gum trag, Tylose, and CMC are food-safe. There are grades of these products that are used in other industries. For instance, Gum Tragacanth is used as a suspending agent in sprayed glazes and ceramics as well as an emulsion stabilizer in auto polishes.

The cost of gum trag has risen considerably, both due to the exponentially rising popularity of cake decorating, but also because of where the majority of it comes from (let's just say that US relations with that part of the world are sometimes strained, no blame pointed in anyone's direction).

As for the rising popularity in cake decorating goes, when I joined CC, there was less that fifty thousand members. Now, we're over two million strong. More cake decorators cause the supply/demand ratio to shift, with the balance leaning more toward the vendors.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:13am
post #3 of 5

thanks for your reply. I had no idea it was used in so many other things as well. I'm even more confused now as to what to buy!! Looks like I'll be sticking with the expensive stuff for now, at least I know what I'm getting. Thank you so much for your post icon_smile.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:31am
post #4 of 5

Have you tried here http://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/ They are a reputable company & have gum trag in varying sizes from 13g to 500g.

I'd buy only from cake supply companies not from places like ebay, as said before you don't know what you're getting.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 5


There is a really good website called Cake Craft which I use a lot. You can get Gum Trag and Tylose Powder - whichever you prefer. They have absolutely everything a cake decorator needs and are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps.

CP x

Quote by @%username% on %date%