Butter Cream Flames

Decorating By Annmarie81 Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 1:55am by kansaslaura

Annmarie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annmarie81 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #1 of 12

I have someone who is wanting a skate board cake, so i've looked through all the skateboard cakes. I have a good idea how to put it all together. The one thing that was asked is the frosting to be all butter cream. No fondant.
How can i do flames on the skateboard with buttercream frosting??
I do not have air brushing nor can i get one.. I live in Okinawa Japan so getting items here is next to impossible, and craft store on base, well good luck they cary a lot of yarn. I want the flames to blend well,and look awesome but I have no clue where to start with this idea.
Thanks so much

Cake due Oct 7th

11 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:52am
post #2 of 12

Pipe them on with a writing tip, fill the flame in, let the bc crust, and then flatten it with your finger, or don't let it crust and flatten it smooth with a wet offset spatula. If I was going to do this, I would try to smooth the icing so the colors would smear like flames and work it that way.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1306599

Another way I have made flames is to use a star tip. Start with deep orange, or red, add yellow, and then add a white highlight.

HTH

Here's another idea
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=34077

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #3 of 12

I would try piping it. Outline and fill it in with a #3 or so tip, wait for it to crust then smooth it with viva or whatever method you use. I made a camo cake with this technique and it turned out great...easy to blend different colors together and it was a breeze to smooth! HTH. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 12

I did flames on a burning building cake. Used a large star tip and put red, orange and yellow icing in the bag. It piped out beautifully! I dotn' have a a good pic because daughter needed the camera that day! icon_cry.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #5 of 12

Ive never tried this but what about a run out icing in red yellow and orange? anyone think that would work?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:52am
post #6 of 12

what's a run out icing? icon_confused.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:23am
post #7 of 12

oh sorry... flood icing...color flow...

tokazodo Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:28am
post #8 of 12

I think the color flow would work nicely. It would also give that smooth fondant look without actually being fondant.

Annmarie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annmarie81 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:46am
post #9 of 12

Thank you guys for the info,
What is Color flood or color flowing is there video i can watch?
I'm not a cake cake decorator just got out that hey she can make some awesome cakes. Trail and error more or less..
thanks

tokazodo Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #10 of 12

This is a link for a youtube tutorial, There are many other links on this one, which explain the procedure.

tokazodo Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #11 of 12

Oops! Forgot to attach the link! Silly me!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #12 of 12

I've painted flames with buttercream several times. Thin your frostings (several colors...red, orange, yellow to get realistic flames) with corn syrup and use a paintbrush. Let your frosting crust before you start painting. Not sure I put one in my photos, but it's really pretty simple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%