Well Dressed Cake Smbc?

Baking By ThreeDGirlie Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm by ThreeDGirlie

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 8

Can somebody please post the SMBC recipe on this thread for me? I searched the recipe section, but when I click on the recipe, it brings up a blank page! I am visiting my parents, and want to make this icing for them, but my computer is not cooperating. Please help! icon_sad.gif

7 replies
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 8

This happened to me as well!! I'm hoping someone can post the recipe!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 8

There is no standard recipe for SMBC. You can find literally dozens of recipes in a google search.

For clear, consistent instructions, I always recommend a newbie to SMBC use the recipe on the Martha Stewart website, particularly the one that is subtitled Martha Stewart Cupcakes June 2009. The instructions for that recipe are much more explanatory than the other recipes there.

I have to warn you, though, I find that particular recipe very sweet. You might want to google search to find a recipe that sounds more to your taste, then go to her instructions to learn the technique.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 8

There's a thread on here by melvira called MBC epiphany! And even tho she calls it an italian merangue in the begging of the thread its actually SMBC whith her recipe on there reviewd by dozens of cc,ers and even lots of yummy flavor substitions. Id recommend reading at least the first couple pages very imformative!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Here you go. This is a very good video. When you watch it, you'll see why she calls it 1-2-3 swiss meringue buttercream.

Hope that helps. It's delicious. And not overly sweet. When people who don't like frosting try this or Italian Meringue Buttercream, they're hooked.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

this is the well dressd swiss meingue b/c recipe
12oz(3 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp.
5 egg whites
8 oz.(1 cup) granulated sugar
2 TBSP. real vanilla flavoring

place the egg whites and the sugar in a clean mixer bowl, and place it over a pot of simmering water, whisking occasionally until it registers 160 degrees. Put it on the stand mixer and whisk it with the whisk on med. high until it reaches the stiff peak stage. while the meringue is beating, cut tup the butter into tbsp. sized pieces. when the meringue is ready, switch from whisk to paddle attachment, turn on low, and slowly add the butter. add vanilla. turn on med. high and let it rip until you have a lovely silky b/c. you will hear a slapping sound when it is ready.

to make berry b/c, add about 1/3 cup of sweetened seedless berry puree at the very end.

to make chocolate, add about 1/3 cup of melted chocolate( like semi-sweet) that has been cooled but still pourable at the end. if it was too warm and the b/c melts down, keep beating and it will come together again.

to make lemon ,orange or lime. add 1/3 cups of these curds(make the curds) and a little zest if you want to at the very end.

if you haven,t made this smbc before. ON youtube.com there is a lady from Dyannbakes.com that shows exactly how to make smbc. hers is delicious also.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 8

Dyannbakes (recommended by icer101) is the video that I posted above her post. I highly recommend watching it. She's a very good teacher. Thank you, icer101 for reminding me of her name (even though now I see the link and her name was there!). I'm kind of blind today.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all!

I have made the Well Dressed Cake's SMBC before, and I know and love it! I'm just out of town, and don't have my cake recipe book with me - which is where I keep this recipe.

Icer101 - THANK YOU! Whipping up cupcakes with SMBC for a Labor Day picnic tomorrow, and I wanted to make this recipe to show it off to my parents, who have never had SMBC before. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%