Shopping For A New Cell Phone....competely Lost!!!

Lounge By vanki Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 5:30am by mistiek2006

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 16

My current cell phone has decided to die on me. now i am shopping for a new on and i have no idea what to choose! i have narrowed it down two four choices; 1)Samsung a777, 2) LG Gu295, 3) LG VU touch and 4) LG Shine. Does anyone know anything about these phones? Anything at all? any recommendations or warnings against them? I don't need a super fancy phone since i mainly use it for calling and texting. Thanks in advance!

15 replies
teresa61625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa61625 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:43am
post #2 of 16

I just started working for a warranty exchange for att..I am not sure on those phones..but when I go to work Tuesday I could check to see if any of those have any known issues with them. But I do think we get a lot of calls on LG phones...but like I said I am new there.

vanki Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 16

Oh... thank you teresa. i really appreciate it.

vanki Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 16

now i found another one that i like...the samsung impression. Anyone know anything about this one?

teresa61625 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 16

Lots of problems with the impression!..

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 16

I have the impression and I love it. It has a slide-out keyboard so grownups can text too icon_biggrin.gif My husband uses his for a mp3 player and to watch movies.

I think maybe some of the issues with it are because it's designed for texting so a lot of kids get it, and they're just not as careful as adults.

It takes a little getting used to the touch screen, and you definitely want to use screen protectors on it, but it's a great phone. I've had mine for a little more than a year now.

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:30am
post #7 of 16

The only thing I liked about the LG Vu is that I could talk and text at the same time, if need be. I found it nearly impossible to calibrate properly, which is a must for a totally touch screen phone.

I have had an Impression for almost a year, and it's been pretty crappy for about the last 6 months. I tend to type long msgs (I don't like to use "text speak") and it simply can't keep up. It starts to lag and skip every other letter. I do really like the buttons on the slide out keyboard, they are a little larger than most other phones. It also drops more calls than any phone I've had.

To be honest, the best phone we've had is hubby's iPhone. The calibration is absolutely perfect and the features are pretty neat. He has had it for over a year and has never had a problem with it. The only reason I don't have one is I don't want to add another $20 or more a month to our bill. They get enough from us as it is!

teresa61625 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:58am
post #8 of 16

Ok I tried to check out for known issues with these phones and there is nothing really listed. But since i have been there (only 2 weeks on the calls so far) but a bunch of them are always the impression! So that is about all I can tell you..sorry still new to the job..

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_barnes76

The only thing I liked about the LG Vu is that I could talk and text at the same time, if need be. I found it nearly impossible to calibrate properly, which is a must for a totally touch screen phone.

I have had an Impression for almost a year, and it's been pretty crappy for about the last 6 months. I tend to type long msgs (I don't like to use "text speak") and it simply can't keep up. It starts to lag and skip every other letter. I do really like the buttons on the slide out keyboard, they are a little larger than most other phones. It also drops more calls than any phone I've had.

To be honest, the best phone we've had is hubby's iPhone. The calibration is absolutely perfect and the features are pretty neat. He has had it for over a year and has never had a problem with it. The only reason I don't have one is I don't want to add another $20 or more a month to our bill. They get enough from us as it is!

You can calibrate the screen on the impression icon_biggrin.gif I do it whenever I've gone from having long fingernails to short ones.

I've had more dropped calls than I used to but I think that's because AT&T has gotten itself more business than it can keep up with. I think the next time my contract is up I'm going to switch to a different carrier.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_barnes76

You can calibrate the screen on the impression icon_biggrin.gif I do it whenever I've gone from having long fingernails to short ones.

I've had more dropped calls than I used to but I think that's because AT&T has gotten itself more business than it can keep up with. I think the next time my contract is up I'm going to switch to a different carrier.

You're right about AT&T and their issues with bandwidth for the amount of subscribers. It's been talked about in tech circles for the last two years that while AT&T supposedly has the largest coverage area, they just do not have the bandwidth to support as many people as they have. That's why they are limiting the amount of data you're allowed to transfer per month. Granted, that change only really impacted about 1-2% of their user base, but because that 1-2% was using up most of the their bandwidth, they were hoping it would help with the congestion.

So with AT&T, you've got decent coverage almost anywhere, but don't hope for that super-fast 3g network in metropolitan areas (ask me how my co-worker fared when he was in Chicago trying to use his iPhone!).

But since the OP asked for phone opinions..icon_smile.gif I'd say if you haven't yet, go find a place that has those phones on display and play around with them. Tell the sales person you're not looking to buy, just to test and they shouldn't give you a hard time. That's what I did before I bought my Samsung Exclaim (Sprint). Wasn't sure I'd like it, but I saw it on display and played around with it and fell in love.

Good luck!!!

vanki Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:29am
post #11 of 16

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments.

blondie500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondie500 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #12 of 16

Have you looked at www.cnet.com? They review all phones in video, plus users all give their own ratings. You can search by model there. Plus I would Google which phones have high radiation. CNN just did a feature on that. I think Samsungs got the best rating radiation-wise. Very informative. I think the Vu has a higher radiation level (my daughter has one and we're looking to switch it out). Before I got my phone, I went to cnet to see what everyone else thought. Hope that helps.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:38am
post #13 of 16

I just got a new one and really like it. It's an LG env3 I decided when I had to get a new one it would have one of those new qwerty keyboards to make texting SOOO Much easier (since my kids find that to be THE way to communicate!)

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 16

I just have to add that the only touch screen phones that don't drive me absolutely bonkers are the Iphone and the Palm Pre Plus... every other touch screen was laggy and random and horrible. icon_razz.gif I took both of touch screens back. Not sure if you need a phone with a data plan and all that but if you do I absolutely love the Palm Pre.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 16

I can't comment on those exact phones, but definitely go in and play around with the phones. And see if you can exchange your phone if you don't like it (i don't know if all places do this or not, but the place i go through does, i have two weeks after i get a new phone to exchange if i dont' like it)

I thought i wanted and would just love a touch screen, even after playing with it in the store. Well got it home and kept it for just under two weeks before i took it back to exchange it. It just wasn't for me. Maybe next time i get a new phone it will be different, but right now I just didn't like it.

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:30am
post #16 of 16

I also love my Palm Pris Plus. My favorite feature is that you can hook up your phone to your computer and download the pics like a digital camera. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's well worth the money. My husband loves his LG Cosmos. It has a larger keyboard than my Palm. He uses his to surf the net then borrows mine to enlarge the things he really wants to look at.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%