Got A Cake Form....how Do I Cover It?

Decorating By Mae_mom Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm by lynndy-lou

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 6

My husband landed a couple of good finds at one of the local thrift shop...got a few new cake pans all for just pennies! icon_wink.gif One of them is a large silicone rose shaped pan.

I've never been one for shaped/formed pans but I thought I might try it out. My question is....how should I cover the cake? I'm guessing fondant won't work? Butter-cream might be pretty tedious? What about poured fondant? I've never tried poured fondant before but am always looking to try new things.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif Thanks much! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 8:49am
post #2 of 6

I would stick with rolled fondant. I have tried 2 recipes for poured fondant and both failed miserably

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:18am
post #3 of 6

I think fondant would work, but i think you would have to try and create seperate petals rather than covering with one sheet

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 6

Ok, great! Thanks very much. Should I know anything special about making sure the cake comes out of this pan after it's backed? This pan is intimidating me for some reason! icon_smile.gif All those nooks and crannies!! icon_smile.gif

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 6

I don't have any ideas for you cause I'm a newbie lol but I desperately want to see pictures when you're done!!!!! Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 6

You just need to use plenty of cake release and make sure its right in all those nooks and crannies lol. Its basically a flexible character pan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%