Help! Fondant Figure Question!

Decorating By MandaMoh3 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 6:17pm by MandaMoh3

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm in need of some help! I'm currently trying to make a monkey figure out of fondant. When I roll my colored fondant into a ball I have creases or cracks in the ball of fondant. How can I make my fondant smooth? It's still very workable and not dry at all, I used criso shortening while mixing in the color so I don't understand why I still see that crease! HELP!

8 replies
villazar701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
villazar701 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 9

try kneading it a little more, that helps me sometimes.

pinky317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky317 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 9

If you push down harder with your hands while rolling, I find that this makes it smoother.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 9

Try microwaving first, then roll into a ball...it's the only way I model anything with fondant.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 9

This is all very good advice, but I think the most important thing is pressiing really hard on the fondant as you roll it into a ball. That always works for me.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 9

Lorraine McKay, the fondant figure guru icon_smile.gif has a video on Vimeo on just this topic! Take a look....

" rel="nofollow">

Hope this helps, and good luck!
~ Scott

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9

As stated before knead your fondant well before working with it. I put a very thin coating of crisco on my hands. Start rolling the ball with light pressure in the center of your palms. Then continue to roll with a slightly heaver pressure. Check the ball for any cracks or inperfections and continue to roll gently if needed.

You mentioned you added Crisco to the fondant. I do that also, but be careful not to add too much. If you add too much Crisco you will definitely have trouble. I also add just a little Tylose powder to my fondant, especially if I am making larger pieces.

It takes a little practice to get the feel for the amount of pressure you need to use to get the ball smooth. Play with it a little and I'm sure you'll get it mastered in no time! Go luck to you with your figures.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 9

I always rub som Crisco on my hands and then roll - it makes a smooth surface for me at least.

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks!! I'll try microwaving it for a few seconds before starting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%