Help! Major Mmf Problems For Cake Due Tomorrow!

Baking By julesh268 Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 12:49am by julesh268

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 6

HELP! I am making little bridesmaids out of brown mmf. I made their tops and they are already dried. I am trying to roll out the fondont to put on the little cakes, but I can't get it to be elastic. I have done dark colors before with no problem. I just don't know what to do. I would make a new batch, but the chances of me matching the browns (to the tops already made) is slim to none and I don't have time to make it, let it set, and then make the tops so they can dry.

Is there a way to save this fondont? I have tried adding water, crisco, ps, and tylose. It is tearing too easily and doesn't have a nice smooth texture to it.

I am starting to freak out as I have to leave to go to work in 3 hours!

5 replies
julesh268 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

Well, thanks for all of the responses. icon_wink.gif Disaster averted! I stepped back and decided to take a fresh clump of mmf and just work with it without adding anything to it. Bingo I think because I thought it was dry I added water, then more ps, the crisco...soon I didn't have mmf anymore. For those who talk about elephant skin I think the culpret is the crisco...but I could be wrong. That seemed to make it fall apart. You just need enough to coat it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 6

I didn't see this earlier, but sometimes when your mmf is too hard to work with, it can be salvaged by microwaving it for a few seconds. Don't microwave too long or it will melt and burn you when you touch it.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

Tylose is for things to dry faster. That could of changed the consistancy. If you wanted stretch then you could of used gelatin or gum trag.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 6

icon_sad.gif Sorry, I just got home and didn't see the thread. I'm going to echo Texas_Rose and say that sticking MMF in the microwave for a few seconds can make a world of difference!

julesh268 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tip on the microwave! I actually considered it a few times, I don't know why I don't listen to my gut.

Also, thanks for the tip on gelatine or gum trag!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%