What Is The Best Way To Color Fondant Black?

Baking By momof2redheads Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm by Peeb

momof2redheads Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2redheads Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first attempt with fondant and I am making my own. I need to color some of it black, and I am a little worried. With buttercream, it always takes so much of the color to make it black that I have always started with chocolate icing to keep it from getting bitter. Do I have an option here? Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Peeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeb Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 5

Lots of black, and a little purple, if I'm making it from scratch. thumbs_up.gif Usually though, I just buy the tubes of black icing at the grocery store because I only use it for outlining or writing.

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

Check out Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. It is not a marshmallow fondant, but uses corn syrup and other items. There is an option to make it chocolate using chocolate chips. This will give you a darker color to start with. One thing I learned was to mix in the black gel color before you start putting in the powdered sugar. This is the best way that I have found, and hey - it tastes like chocolate, no bitter taste! Hope this helps you! her recipe is in the recipe section under most saved.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 5

I have read here numours times to start with chocolate or brown it will give you a darker base and you will use less color.

Peeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeb Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeb

Lots of black, and a little purple, if I'm making it from scratch. thumbs_up.gif Usually though, I just buy the tubes of black icing at the grocery store because I only use it for outlining or writing.

Oops! Sorry, I missed the fondant part. I was clearly talking about buttercream. icon_redface.gif
But, the lots of black and a little purple is still true. I find that if I don't add the purple, it never gets a nice true black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%