How Do I... Make A Cake Like This?

Decorating By xSam12x Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 9:19pm by xSam12x

xSam12x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xSam12x Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:31am
post #1 of 17

Hi, its my nans birthday this week coming and she loves knitting, i found this idea for a cake and thought she would love it but im a little worried because of the height. If i use 3 layers of cake will it sink? Im not sure if i would need to use dowels?

it wont let me add an attatchment so ive posted a link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oraravalleycakes/4268233266/

Thank youuu icon_smile.gif

16 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #2 of 17

this is from a cake book, the name of the book has slipped my mind, but i would think that you need the 3d ball pan, then covered in fondant ropes to get the yarn effect

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 17

The safest way to stack - that is affordable - is the SPS, or you can use bubble tea straws with a thin center dowel.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 17

This is from Debbie Brown's 50 Easy Party Cakes book. It was made using 2-1 liter (2 pints/5 cup) bowls, leveled after baking and flat sides iced together. I don't see anything in the instructions about dowelling. HTH.

I tried to scan the directions for you but my scanner is being a pain. IF you need more info, let me know and later tonight (after baby's asleep) I can type out the instructions.

It looks like a fairly simple cake to do, so very cute!

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 17

just search these kind of cakes on this site...there are alot of them...i even had one...find one you like and pm the creator and ask them how to do it icon_smile.gif

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 17

Hi I've done this cake 3 times lol. Crisseyann is exactly right its from Debbie Browns 50 easy party cakes. It doesnt need doweling but if its hot where you are you could put a dowel through the centre. I put a thin layer of fondant on first then attached the lengths of fondant on with edible glue. I think the picture is in my photos.

xSam12x Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 17

thank you for all your replys. i cant wait to try it out icon_smile.gif i think ill only use this shape once so rather than buying an expensive 3d ball pan which type could i use for the same shape, crisseyann mentioned bowels. sorry i am completely useless when it comes to cooking or knowing what is safe to use in an oven haha. im sure my mom will have something lying around i could use. thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 17

you could use pyrex or stainless steel, you will need 2 in the 1 liter size as mentioned.

lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 17

I used pyrex bowls

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 17

Go to debbie browns web site if you have questions she will answer you.
She's such a sweetie.

xSam12x Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 17

thank you! i will give it a go, if it isnt a disaster i will post a picture icon_smile.gif x

lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 17

lol it wont be a disaster its really easy

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 17

I've done this cake, you can see it here: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1478908

I highly recommend using an extruder for the yarn because rolling all the strings by hand would be a pain-in-the-neck!

xSam12x Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:42am
post #14 of 17

i have just ordered an extruder, thanks for the advice icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #15 of 17

FlourPots...I loved your version of this cake! I just made the same cake this weekend and used your idea as inspiration. Only used two kittens though. I wish my "yarn" had been a little neater, and I used the wrong size on my extruder so it came out thicker, but all in all I was pretty happy with it. (Didn't use any support or doweling either and it was just fine.) Good luck xSam12x...I'm sure your Nan will love it!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:35am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

FlourPots...I loved your version of this cake! I just made the same cake this weekend and used your idea as inspiration.

Well thank you so much...I'm very flattered icon_smile.gif

xSam12x Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:19pm
post #17 of 17

thanks again everyone. she was very pleased and the extruder was brilliant. your right i think i would have got mad rolling them out myself! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%