United Way Cake Ideas???

Decorating By abra526 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm by abra526

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 8

In a few weeks, we are having a fundraiser for the United Way at the hospital where I work. On the 15th, there will be a cake walk, and all the cakes will be from donation. I agreed to donate a cake, and I have free reign over design, flavor, etc. I would almost rather them give me a theme! I'm drawing a blank. I need some ideas that will appeal to the masses.

Many of the people buying tickets will be hospital employees. I don't really want to go any bigger than an 8" round. I really want to do something with fondant, but do you that will turn people off, since many people have misconceptions about the taste of fondant? Any input is greatly appreciated!

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:27am
post #3 of 8

I don't know where your skill level is at, but I think a simple black and white tiered cake with a damask design is appealing to most people.

You could also consider doing a replica of your hospital or something associated with the logo for the hospital, since it will mostly be for staff, family, patients etc.. associations of the hospital.

You could keep it lighter and do a humorous cake (Figurine in bed with cast on leg/foot ) -something like that?

Good luck and please post pic afterwards!

abra526 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 8

To be honest, I'm not sure where my skill level i either! I really wanted to stay away from a tiered cake. I want to keep it fairly simple. My hospital is huge, and has three different towers, so I think that is out, but I like the idea of a patient in the bed, or something to that effect. I will have to do some brainstorming, but thanks for the ideas, and I will for sure post pics!

cpwong00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpwong00 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 8

I know it's a fundraiser for the United Way, but does the cake design have to be hospital or United Way related? I think something elegant or whimsical or seasonal would be really nice for someone to purchase and take home to share with their loved ones.

Just my thought. Good luck on the cake. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 8

exploding thermometer (old style with red fluid)

caption: we're so hot.

abra526 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 8

I also thought of staying away from the hosptial theme. I was considering doing a light blue cake with cherry blossoms. It is most likely though, that it will be a hospital employee that wins the cake, because it is being held in the cafeteria where the patrons are 80% employees. I just kind of assumed that they will take it back to their department to share with their co-workers. That's what I'd do!

abra526 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

Ok, I decided to go with a simple, modern theme for the cake. Here is what I came up with, and thanks to everyone for the help and ideas!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1803971

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%