Tree Trunks

Decorating By cakeadoodle Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 3:04am by raquel1

cakeadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeadoodle Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be doing a cake that I want trees on and was going to use pretzel rods for the tree trunks. However, the one time I did this, the part of the pretzel stick that was in the cake got soggy and the tree fell over. Can anyone tell me if they have had any problems or have another suggestion. I have done them and wrapped plastic wrap around the part of the pretzel in the cake. My ideas were to cover the pretzels with royal icing or fondant but any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

3 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 4

I used bubble tea straws and cut slits in them so that the pretzels (really thick ones) would stick into the straws. The straws were 2 inches long and stuck into the cake - seemed to work well for me. Good luck!

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:56am
post #3 of 4

A plastic pillar with a large star tip to cover it with brown frosting to create the truck.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8yf

A plastic pillar with a large star tip to cover it with brown frosting to create the truck.

This one is the most stable and realistic idea. when you pipe the icing it makes the best "bark" look and you can make swirls with it for holes in the trunks and continue the piping off the base for the roots, it's just an adorable method. Too bad I can't upload my pics of something very similar I just did for my niece's Tinkerbell cake icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%