Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By jen4230 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm by jen4230

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone. I am making my neice a Dora cake for her bday. I am tired of just doing plain old BC so I t hought I would try a fondant but I don't like the way fondant tastes. I found a recipe on here called rolled buttercream I made some and its delicious and is alot like fondant. I am just wondering if it can be used to decorate with like making shapes to put on the sides of the cake? Can it be used just like regular fondant. I did make this and my kids love the taste of it so im going to try to cover the cakes with it but i want to add decorations to the sides do you think it will work for this?
Thank you icon_redface.gif

9 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 10

I have used rolled buttercream - yes it is alot like fondant but the recipe I used (off another site) was not as stretchy or as pliable as regular fondant. Nevertheless you can try it.

Another idea (that I got from the great folks here) is to add oil based flavorings to your regular fondant to improve the taste. Something like the Lorann oil flavors - there are lots to choose from, they are more potent and less watery than extracts so they don't make the fondant too gooey and you use much less than extracts. I just add several drops to my store bought fondant and check the taste - you may need to add a bit of powdered sugar if you add lots of flavor to firm the fondant back up. I use the almond oil a lot (because I use almond extract in my buttercream) but there are fruit flavors, peppermint, cotton candy, etc.

jen4230 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you Tigerhawk83. I think I will try the rolled buttercream ahead of time and see how that works if it doesnt I will definately try adding the oils to the fondant. I know the kids don't like the taste of fondant its just one of those things you either love it or hate it there is no in between with fondant.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 10

I use rolled buttercream for my cookies all the time, and have been wondering how well it would cover a cake. Interested to see what others have to say, or what you find out. I am making cookies this weekend, and was going to make up some shapes with the rbc for a cake for next weekend and see how it holds up.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 10

You can model with RBC, you need to add a lot of powdered sugar to it to get it stiff enough. You can also mix RBC with fondant and use that.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 10

So if you don't cover cakes with it, and the base recipe is no good for modeling, what is it used for? I have heard of it but never really thought to try it.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 10

RBC is just much more delicate to work with since it doesn't have any gelatin in it, but for that same reason, it can also be much more forgiving.

I have only used it on cookies, but my kids have used my leftovers to cover a small cake and really liked it. Since they were the ones covering the cake, I can't tell you how it worked. They were happy with the results, though icon_wink.gif
and they ate it all, but they also like the marshmallow fondant on cakes.

It does sometimes appear quite greasy the next day, so you may want to be prepared to pat some powdered sugar on it if you don't like the way it looks later on.

Good luck. I say experiment and go for it!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 10

Erin, the base recipe is great for covering cake, cookies or whatever. Just a little different to handle the fondant and much more forgiving. By adding a little powdered sugar, you can do any number of things iwth it including modeling. It can be mixed with candy clay, or fondant to improve the handling or flavor of either. And you can add water to it and pipe with it. I use it almost exclusively.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:18am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

Erin, the base recipe is great for covering cake, cookies or whatever. Just a little different to handle the fondant and much more forgiving. By adding a little powdered sugar, you can do any number of things iwth it including modeling. It can be mixed with candy clay, or fondant to improve the handling or flavor of either. And you can add water to it and pipe with it. I use it almost exclusively.

Ah, I see! I have heard it mentioned a few times, but have never really seen anyone talk about it's uses. Cool...Thanks! icon_smile.gif

jen4230 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 10

I thought I would let everyone know how my experiment with rolled buttercream went. well first I will say I think RBC is best for just covering a cake not used to cover characters. I made backpack from dora for my neice and covered it in the RBC but it was to soft didnt matter how much more sugar was added and it wouldn't stick but I will say it is delicious tastes much better than fondant. I did finish Backpack and he came out really good the RBC worked ok as long as i really played with it and kept it in the fridge. I just think it would be better used to cover cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%