Caramel Cake

Baking By bettycece Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 12:32am by auzzi

bettycece Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettycece Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 10

I have a recipe for caramel cake, I have to burn sugar till golden than add to cake. When I do that the sugar gets hard, does anyone know how I can add the sugar without getting hard? icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:14am
post #2 of 10

are you adding water?

scp1127 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:20am
post #3 of 10

I should have asked more before I asked about the water. That is the base for syrup. I have browned sugar by itself and it does work. My best suggestion is a good pan with a heavy bottom, watch your temp, and do not leave it. Lift the pan if it is going too fast and take it off immediately when you get what you want.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 10

I'm assuming it gets hard after it cools, so possibly you can add it before it cools.

I have a recipe like this I have been meaning to try and I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to look at it again and see if it says anything about hardening.

bettycece Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 10

thank you all for your replies, i use 1 c. of regular sugar and just a little bit of water and than i let it boil in a sauce pan until brown then the problem is when i do pour it hot into the cake batter the sugar hardens so i don't know how to do it otherwise.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 10

Every recipe I find is made of sugar, water and cream. The cream may keep it from hardening so fast. You don't mention cream, do you use it? If not you may want to google caramel sauce recipe. There are quite good ones out there.

scp1127 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 10

bettycece, I haven't found my recipe yet, BUT... does the recipe say to pour it in hot or can it wait for room temperature?

bettycece Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:01am
post #8 of 10

I think Linda your right about the cream will try that way and will try to google also, thank you

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:37am
post #9 of 10

If you put lemon juice with the water it doesn't get as hard.
I do remember making once a caramel icecream, and we were supose to pour it on the milk while still liquid and hot.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:32am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%