Help! Shud I Steam Fondant Cutout?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm by Goldberry

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:58am
post #1 of 6

SO i attempted to make a minie mouse (2D) from fondant...basically cut out a template...and then cut out my fondant pieces...the dress, face, arms etc..and am trying to join it all together...but there are still some minor gaps...plus i got some fingernail marks on my fondant pieces!!! Uugh!!
If i steam it will it make it all come together..give it a shine?

Also..I wanted to use an edible marker and put some dress marks...add outlines for the bow etc...cud i do that and steam later???

And ofcourse my minnie doesnt look cute at all!!! I think the facial deatures are off!

5 replies
Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:28am
post #2 of 6

Don't steam the fondant!!!!!! rub it with the palm of your hand this will soften the fondant and will help remove the marks. if you want a high shine use confectioners glaze or half glaze.

icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #3 of 6

Yes, you may steam the fondant, but it will NOT undo the damage you have done with fingernail marks, gaps, etc.

Steaming is the final step to remove any residual cornstarch and give it a nice glow. It sounds like you have some repair work to do before steaming.

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 6

thanks..i think i will remake the minnie..it doesnt look nice..and my husband came home and he didnt like it at all...he is a perfectionist...but he just went on to say oh you didnt cut it round..it looks blah blah!
im so angry!!! sorry for the vent!!
it took me so long to make it!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

I always have problems with fingernail "nicks".... so now I have several pairs of light-weight, white cotton gloves. I ALWAYS put them on when I roll and move my fondant for cake-covering. And I use them for fussy figurine work, too. Just be sure to wash them several times before you use them to get rid of any fiber lint that might brush off onto your fondant or pieces. And, of course, wash them every time that you use them to keep things sanitary. This will absolutely solve your fingernail problem :>)

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 6

you can always use a cake lifter too. slip it under the fondant and then shuffle oto the cake. there will be a minimum of stretch and finger nail prints on the cake. Hope this is useful icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%