Coloring Fondant Help/filling Question

Decorating By lolobell Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm by lolobell

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:13am
post #1 of 3

hello everyone!

any tips on how to achieve the color "sage"....????

also...i have never filled my cakes with anything other than buttercream or fruit flavored buttercream...i would like to fill this upcoming cake with fresh strawberries....do i put a layer of buttercream down first...and then the strawberries on top of that...??? may seem silly to ask, but...i'm sure there is a right way and a wrong way of doing this!!!

many thanks in advance,
Marianne

2 replies
TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 3

I have actually used Sage green (wilton) to achieve this color, but I have also mixed up a moss green that you may be able to mix and tweak to your needs. It sounds strange, but it works.....violet and lemon yellow.....Then from there you can add more green...even white if you need to lighten it up. I used this in variations for a camoflauge that I did where I wanted three shades of green.

As for your filling, when I do fresh strawberries, I spread a very thin layer of buttercream, pipe my dam, layer in the sliced strawberries, then put a thin layer of buttercream on the underside of the cake that will sit on top of the strawberries. This helps create a moisture barrier between the fruit and the cake so it doesn't get soggy. Make sure you do not over fill, and also let it settle with weight to make that all stick together nicely so it doesn't slip apart after it is decorated.

Also, with your strawberries, I like to slice them up, put them between two pieces of paper towel, then put a cutting board on top, then weight it a bit with a large can of something (tomatoes, beans, etc) and let it set for maybe 30 minutes or so. This sort of squeezes some of the excess moisture out without crushing the berries. This will help ensure the berries don't give off too much liquid when inside the cake.

This is just how I do it....how that is helpful.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 3

thank you SO much...Yes, it was very, very helpful!!! appreciate your time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%